Electric brewery plans - need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised you see any temp differential in your setup. I don't at all. I set my HLT to the temp I want to mash at and the mash always follows at the same temp. both my HLT and MLT probes are at the kettle outputs. The HLT probe is used to heat the water in the HLT, the MLT probe just displays the temp of the wort leaving the HLT. It's passive (doesn't control anything).

I did a test during my last brew on the weekend which was a light lager mashed at 148F. The test went like this:

1. Heated 20 gallons of water in the HLT to 148F.
2. Moved 6 gallons over the MLT.
3. Turned on the HERMS recirc with the pump 100% open, waited for both vessels to equalize as the MLT is initially cold.
4. Both vessles now contain 148F water. Dough in with 14 lbs of grain. The MLT temp drops from 148 to 138 because of the cold grain.
5. Turn recirc back on with the pump 100% open again. It took exactly 9 mins for the temp of the wort exiting the MLT to rise from 138F to 148F.

This quick rise time is one reason why I never bother trying to overshoot with my strike water.

I continued my test during my mash out from 148F to 168F. To do the mash out I simply turn the HLT PID from 148F to 168F and watch the MLT temp reading rise. It took exactly 21 minutes for the wort exiting the MLT to rise from 148F to 168F.

Again, maybe what helps is that I pump at 100% open without any issues with 1/2" ID hose. The wort is really moving and never gets stuck. This batch was 30% corn and rise flakes which cause lots of problems for some people requiring rice hulls (I don't need to use rice hulls). The Blichmann false bottom most certainly helps. Hats off to John for a great piece of engineering.

Kal

I never did calibrate my MLT dial thermometer, maybe that would explain the small differential? Maybe I'll pull it out of the tun and try a two point calibration.

Sometimes I try to over shoot my HLT to get a bigger delta T, for a quicker ramp. I certainly could do it the way you mentioned. I'm still getting acquainted with my system, so I'm open to trying alterations in my process (actually, no two batches of the 5 so far went exactly the same).

I'll keep this thread updated as I dial in my process.

TB

Sometimes I try to over shoot my HLT to get a bigger delta T, for a quicker ramp...
I've been meaning to try that myself: Set my HLT to (say) 3-4 degrees above my mash temp and then once dough'ed in, return it to the actual mash temp. The two systems should equalize faster. I should brew up a similar beer (same # of grain) and see how much faster than 9 minutes it takes! Remind me next time I brew... ;)

Kal

I've been meaning to try that myself: Set my HLT to (say) 3-4 degrees above my mash temp and then once dough'ed in, return it to the actual mash temp. The two systems should equalize faster. I should brew up a similar beer (same # of grain) and see how much faster than 9 minutes it takes! Remind me next time I brew... ;)

Kal

It would be easier for me to remind you if I was at your place on brew day ;)

Yeah, I'm interested in what you find with your response time in converging temps if you try that. Let me know how that goes. You reminded me that I'm due to make a good light lager, too. Maybe a SMASH Pils or similar...

Good luck; have fun!
Cheers,
TB

Kal

That's what I tried on my last batch. Doughed in at 164F, hit 152f right on the nose then cut temp down in the hlt. By the time my mash needed heat (15min + dough in time) my hlt was back down to recirc temps. Do you use a barley crusher on your grain? If so, what are the rollers set at? I guess I need to try recirculating faster, i'm paranoid of stuck sparges.

That's what I tried on my last batch. Doughed in at 164F, hit 152f right on the nose then cut temp down in the hlt. By the time my mash needed heat (15min + dough in time) my hlt was back down to recirc temps. Do you use a barley crusher on your grain? If so, what are the rollers set at? I guess I need to try recirculating faster, i'm paranoid of stuck sparges.

This may be up for debate (not here though), but depending on your false bottom, you might not want to recirc too fast. You might have to play around with different flow rates and monitor the MLT for channeling or stuck mash.

TB

You reminded me that I'm due to make a good light lager, too. Maybe a SMASH Pils or similar...
I did this one as I need something fast: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

Do you use a barley crusher on your grain? If so, what are the rollers set at?
I use the cheapest Monster Mill. Set pretty loose. .045" I think. My efficiency's in the 93-95% range.

I would not recirc fast if it wasn't for my Blichmann false bottom. I brewed a wheat beer with 70% wheat and 30% pils without any rice hulls without issues with this false bottom. Trying to suck that much liquid through a small mesh or something similar is asking for trouble.

Kal

I would not recirc fast if it wasn't for my Blichmann false bottom. I brewed a wheat beer with 70% wheat and 30% pils without any rice hulls without issues with this false bottom. Trying to suck that much liquid through a small mesh or something similar is asking for trouble.

Kal

That's what i'm using.

I'm willing to bet the temp differential has to do with the ambient temp of the brewery. I'm in a cold basement and my mash probe is in the bottom of the tun that sits on a metal table (heat sink). I think if the basement was warmer, or the mash tun was insulated...
There are a lot of minutiae that can make big differences in our processes.

I'm willing to bet the temp differential has to do with the ambient temp of the brewery. I'm in a cold basement and my mash probe is in the bottom of the tun that sits on a metal table (heat sink). I think if the basement was warmer, or the mash tun was insulated...
There are a lot of minutiae that can make big differences in our processes.

You're right that there are a number of factors that can contribute to losses between the two tuns. Even temp sensing equipment will vary. At our level, I wouldn't worry about 1-5 deg F differential. The most important thing is consistency and quality. If you are well adjusted to your system, and use the same process every time, I'm sure the beer will be great batch after batch.

I'd really like to join you other eHERMS brewers for a brew day on your systems, and have you over for one of my brew days; I think we could really learn a lot from each other quickly. Oh, well. Pictures and stories will have to do.

TB

First and fore most thanks!!! This is an awesome system and just spent the better part of four hours reading through your entire thread EHERMS build from start to finish while enjoying several pints of Summer Ale from my near by Keggarator....I am sold and will be furthering my research and design ideas for my own Electric HERMS. You have made a great system, in function, design, and I for one am very impressed by your knowledge and skill. Thanks for a very informative afternoon. I look forward to more as you continue to brew on this and I will most definitely be asking a few questions as I move forward on my build...now to remodel our kitchen for my wife so I can build my very own HERMS!!!! Cheers, all the best!!!

First and fore most thanks!!! This is an awesome system and just spent the better part of four hours reading through your entire thread EHERMS build from start to finish while enjoying several pints of Summer Ale from my near by Keggarator....I am sold and will be furthering my research and design ideas for my own Electric HERMS. You have made a great system, in function, design, and I for one am very impressed by your knowledge and skill. Thanks for a very informative afternoon. I look forward to more as you continue to brew on this and I will most definitely be asking a few questions as I move forward on my build...now to remodel our kitchen for my wife so I can build my very own HERMS!!!! Cheers, all the best!!!

Thanks for the compliments! :mug:

I'm glad this thread has been informative for you. I'd be happy to try and help you with any questions you have during your build. Good luck with your kitchen remodel, and of course, your new brew rig build!

Cheers,
TB

Awesome build, thank you so much for taking the time to put everything on here. I'm in the early phases of an electric build, also known as convincing the wife to let me build one, and this has been immensely helpful. I really look forward to seeing the list of parts and cost of the whole endeavor.

Thanks for the compliments! :mug:

I'm glad this thread has been informative for you. I'd be happy to try and help you with any questions you have during your build. Good luck with your kitchen remodel, and of course, your new brew rig build!

Cheers,
TB

Thanks...I was just moving some things in the garage to make room for the contractors items for the remodel and a 240v outlet that I forgot about...maybe I am closer to my eHERMS build faster than I thought LOL....all the best, and thanks for the offer to help, I am sure I will need it!

Awesome build, thank you so much for taking the time to put everything on here. I'm in the early phases of an electric build, also known as convincing the wife to let me build one, and this has been immensely helpful. I really look forward to seeing the list of parts and cost of the whole endeavor.
Glad you like the build! The parts list is coming, I promise. It won't have everything I used, but will have everything you need to build a working system.

My wife was happy that I wouldn't need to use the kitchen for brewing at all anymore, so that helps with getting the thumbs up approval from the Mrs... She also loves my beers, so making more of it, more often, was a plus for both of us!

Thanks...I was just moving some things in the garage to make room for the contractors items for the remodel and a 240v outlet that I forgot about...maybe I am closer to my eHERMS build faster than I thought LOL....all the best, and thanks for the offer to help, I am sure I will need it!

No problem. We'll have to take a closer look at that 240 outlet when the time comes. We'll see if you can end up using that. Have you checked your service panel yet?

TB

My wife was happy that I wouldn't need to use the kitchen for brewing at all anymore, so that helps with getting the thumbs up approval from the Mrs... She also loves my beers, so making more of it, more often, was a plus for both of us!

No problem. We'll have to take a closer look at that 240 outlet when the time comes. We'll see if you can end up using that. Have you checked your service panel yet?TB

Yeah with us building a new kitchen that will end up costing us about 1 third of what we paid for the entire house and land....my days of brewing in the kitchen are numbered....so for the time being I will use to old stove in the garage...and then start working on my e-HERMS System Build....

Yeah I looked at the service panel, it looks like it is a 200amp Service, (that is what the main circuit breaker is. I have various circuits from 15, 20, 30, and 60 amps, and several empty slots, (which will be used and filled during the kitchen remodel, so everything in there will have a dedicated line.) None of these appear to be GFCI. The outlet in the garage is a four prong, 30A outlet, says 250v on it, is feed by two separate 110V lines.

Eventuality I will want to move my brewery system inside to a heated space, where my keggarator is (the WAORGANY Brewery and Pub, and Climbing Wall). So for now I think the garage will work, until I can work on running additional wiring and plumbing in the future Brewery/Pub site...

Can I use a GFCI that is built in to the cord that runs from my e-HERMS control box to the wall outlet (240V) and be good to go? I will post pics of my wall outlet and breaker box when the camera's battery is finished charging.... guess I am going to have to start my own e-HERMS Brewery Build thread too!!! Thanks again for all the help. :mug:

Yeah with us building a new kitchen that will end up costing us about 1 third of what we paid for the entire house and land....my days of brewing in the kitchen are numbered....so for the time being I will use to old stove in the garage...and then start working on my e-HERMS System Build....

Yeah I looked at the service panel, it looks like it is a 200amp Service, (that is what the main circuit breaker is. I have various circuits from 15, 20, 30, and 60 amps, and several empty slots, (which will be used and filled during the kitchen remodel, so everything in there will have a dedicated line.) None of these appear to be GFCI. The outlet in the garage is a four prong, 30A outlet, says 250v on it, is feed by two separate 110V lines.

Eventuality I will want to move my brewery system inside to a heated space, where my keggarator is (the WAORGANY Brewery and Pub, and Climbing Wall). So for now I think the garage will work, until I can work on running additional wiring and plumbing in the future Brewery/Pub site...

Can I use a GFCI that is built in to the cord that runs from my e-HERMS control box to the wall outlet (240V) and be good to go? I will post pics of my wall outlet and breaker box when the camera's battery is finished charging.... guess I am going to have to start my own e-HERMS Brewery Build thread too!!! Thanks again for all the help. :mug:
Just saw this, not sure how I missed that. I'll take a closer look when I get home, but it sounds like you have a couple viable options. I'll be in touch later.

TB

I'm brewing a couple 10 gal batches this weekend (brewing 10 gal of IPA as I type) to fill my capacity (can you say "pipeline"?), then I'm taking the stand in to the shop to get powder coated! :rockin:

I'll post pictures of the final product.

TB

I'm brewing a couple 10 gal batches this weekend (brewing 10 gal of IPA as I type) to fill my capacity (can you say "pipeline"?), then I'm taking the stand in to the shop to get powder coated! :rockin:

I'll post pictures of the final product.

TB
Nice cant' wait to see the outcome!!! :mug:

Woo pics! After reading every page of this thread, it'll be great to see pics of the finished product. Rock on Tiber!

Thanks for the support you guys!

OK, 2nd batch of the weekend is done and was a success. I brewed a Bavarian style hefe with 10 lbs wheat malt, and 8 lbs of German Pilsner malt. No stuck mash, even without any rice hulls! Hit all my temps and volumes, and only took 5 hours from heating strike water to end of CIP. Man, I love this thing.

I'm just 10 gallons shy of being at my full 70 gal capacity (not counting bottles of course), so I have plenty of beer to keep me, wife, friends, etc., company while the stand is getting powder coated.

Cheers,
TB

Also, I'll post some pictures I took today. It's not much, but I know we all like pictures of beer related stuff...

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

Filling the carboys:
DSC00401.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

Prost,
TB

Glad you like the build! The parts list is coming, I promise. It won't have everything I used, but will have everything you need to build a working system.

TB

I cannot wait for this. I am in the minority here on HBT in that I am not an EE, ME or engineer of any kind. I have sourced my kegs and have a local welder willing to help me on the cheap with the cuts and welds. If I could get my hands on a master parts list with pricing and store info, as well as a build sheet (minimally for the control box and electrical aspects of the system), I would be breaking out the credit card and ordering my items. Kal did a phenomenal job on his site for his build, but it is difficult to source a master parts list and total cost there as well.

Thank you again for documenting your build here. Like many on here, I have read every single post and have been subscribed from early on in the process. I'm a little intimidated to attempt a build with the tools and knowledge I have at my disposal, but I really like this eHERMS (or even an eRIMS) build.

I cannot wait for this. I am in the minority here on HBT in that I am not an EE, ME or engineer of any kind. I have sourced my kegs and have a local welder willing to help me on the cheap with the cuts and welds. If I could get my hands on a master parts list with pricing and store info, as well as a build sheet (minimally for the control box and electrical aspects of the system), I would be breaking out the credit card and ordering my items. Kal did a phenomenal job on his site for his build, but it is difficult to source a master parts list and total cost there as well.

Thank you again for documenting your build here. Like many on here, I have read every single post and have been subscribed from early on in the process. I'm a little intimidated to attempt a build with the tools and knowledge I have at my disposal, but I really like this eHERMS (or even an eRIMS) build.

I'm glad you like it. I'm not kidding when I say that I'll put the parts list back up, but my progress a bit slow on piecing it together. For the last 1/3 of the build I didn't update the PL very often and now I'm playing forensics trying to dig up receipts and invoices. For a while I felt I was single handedly making a payment on the president of McMaster-Carr's yacht. I'll get that PL posted, and try to help however I can.

Thanks for the pics,
Thats a rightous rig T.B.

Thanks bro.

TB

I am in the minority here on HBT in that I am not an EE, ME or engineer of any kind.

Ocluke, I think that if you have an inquisitive mind, and are willing to venture out with your ideas, it will work out. From what I have seen, the gang at HBT WILL help you with your plans and ideas.

Start out with what YOU want, draw the parameters around those ideas, and the design will follow.

Look, I have an BSEE with an MBA and run an electrical/solar company. Still, I find some of this automation control stuff "out there." But, if you read and study the past posts, and ask questions, you'll get there!

I look forward to seeing what you have planned!

Tiber Brew,

Here is what I am looking at....

http://

30 AMP Outlet, currently in the garage, will be the temp home for my eHERMS until I can rewire it into my man cave/brewery/pub/climbing wall

The insides, note sure where everything goes, will neck that down during our remodel of the kitchen, all empty spots will get filled then.

My Keezer....need the eHERMS to keep her filled to capacity!!!

Waorgany, that panel labeling is a mess! It's hard to tell what's what. I can't tell from the picture if your 30A outlet is GFCI. If it's not, you need to use a GFCI extension cord until you get a GFCI breaker in your panel.

I dig the keezer! You should have no problem keeping all the taps flowing once you get the rig built. I've found that my 4 tap keggerator isn't enough since I built the eHERMS!

TB

Waorgany, that panel labeling is a mess! It's hard to tell what's what. I can't tell from the picture if your 30A outlet is GFCI. If it's not, you need to use a GFCI extension cord until you get a GFCI breaker in your panel.

I dig the keezer! You should have no problem keeping all the taps flowing once you get the rig built. I've found that my 4 tap keggerator isn't enough since I built the eHERMS!

TB

Yeah nothing we has is GFCI...will be adding all the electric in the kitchen that route...yeah I know the box is a mess...only way we know what is what is if we pop a circuit, or have had to do some work in that room..one of these days we will get them all labeled...just not sure when...yeah so now I will use a GFCI inline cord between the control box and wall outlet...that is the plan, thanks. :mug:

Yeah nothing we has is GFCI...will be adding all the electric in the kitchen that route...yeah I know the box is a mess...only way we know what is what is if we pop a circuit, or have had to do some work in that room..one of these days we will get them all labeled...just not sure when...yeah so now I will use a GFCI inline cord between the control box and wall outlet...that is the plan, thanks. :mug:

Sounds good! What are the plans for your control panel? What will the capabilities of your rig be?

TB

Sounds good! What are the plans for your control panel? What will the capabilities of your rig be? TB
Yeah still not sure what all I will do, but here is the basics….

eHERMS…Single tier left to right HLT, MLT, BK, I plan on having two 4500 watt elements, one for each the HLT and BK..since I am working currently with only 30 amps, I will only be operating one at a time, using the HLT to bring the strike water up to temp, and also for recirculation of the wate/wort from the MLT through a copper coiled heat exchanger via a pump. I will have two pumps, and I think at this point in time I will be going with 2 Chugger pumps. I want to have PID’s to control the temp in the HLT, recirculation from the MLT, and the BK. I also plan to have sight tubes and separate gauge/dial style temp probes on each tank. For my HLT and BK I want to use 15.5 gallon sanky kegs, (if and when ever I can find them), for my MLT I already have a 10 gallon Igloo type round drink cooler. I will also have an counter flow chiller mounted below the BK for dropping the temp of the wort. I am also going to build a grain bin/crusher using some form of roller system, (TBD).

As far as the control panel itself, I am going to keep it simple: (very similar to what you and Gabrew have done, nothing as fancy as Ohio-Ed or Kal the master!):

So basically it will be as follows, or at least in my mind this is what it will look like?

Emergency Shut off; (cuts the power to everything)
3 PID controllers; HLT, MLT, BK
HLT element switch and LED light or combo
BK element switch and LED light or combo
Pump 1 switch and LED light or combo; Water
Pump 2 switch and LED light or combo; Wort
Three temp probe outputs
Two 110v outlets for pumps
Two 220/240v outlets for elements
Power in cord with inline GFCI between control box and wall outlet

So let me know what you think or if you see if I am missing anything….I guess I am going to have to start my won thread, and stop hijacking yours. Thanks again for all the help!!!! All the best. :mug:

Ocluke,

Look, I have an BSEE with an MBA and run an electrical/solar company. Still, I find some of this automation control stuff "out there."

I really do appreciate the encouragement, although the quote above doesn't exactly calm my nerves :)

Yeah still not sure what all I will do, but here is the basics….

eHERMS…Single tier left to right HLT, MLT, BK, I plan on having two 4500 watt elements, one for each the HLT and BK..since I am working currently with only 30 amps, I will only be operating one at a time, using the HLT to bring the strike water up to temp, and also for recirculation of the wate/wort from the MLT through a copper coiled heat exchanger via a pump. I will have two pumps, and I think at this point in time I will be going with 2 Chugger pumps. I want to have PID’s to control the temp in the HLT, recirculation from the MLT, and the BK. I also plan to have sight tubes and separate gauge/dial style temp probes on each tank. For my HLT and BK I want to use 15.5 gallon sanky kegs, (if and when ever I can find them), for my MLT I already have a 10 gallon Igloo type round drink cooler. I will also have an counter flow chiller mounted below the BK for dropping the temp of the wort. I am also going to build a grain bin/crusher using some form of roller system, (TBD).

As far as the control panel itself, I am going to keep it simple: (very similar to what you and Gabrew have done, nothing as fancy as Ohio-Ed or Kal the master!):

So basically it will be as follows, or at least in my mind this is what it will look like?

Emergency Shut off; (cuts the power to everything)
3 PID controllers; HLT, MLT, BK
HLT element switch and LED light or combo
BK element switch and LED light or combo
Pump 1 switch and LED light or combo; Water
Pump 2 switch and LED light or combo; Wort
Three temp probe outputs
Two 110v outlets for pumps
Two 220/240v outlets for elements
Power in cord with inline GFCI between control box and wall outlet

So let me know what you think or if you see if I am missing anything….I guess I am going to have to start my won thread, and stop hijacking yours. Thanks again for all the help!!!! All the best. :mug:

Yeah, go ahead and start your own thread and we'll help ya out! :mug:

TB

Tiber Brew,

Here is what I am looking at....

30 AMP Outlet, currently in the garage, will be the temp home for my eHERMS until I can rewire it into my man cave/brewery/pub/climbing wall
!

I have some concerns about if this "dedicated" dryer outlet. Usually, there is (1) 10/3 line running in. What's with the line running in and running out to a different location? Is this feeding something else down-line and not dedicated?

I have some concerns about if this "dedicated" dryer outlet. Usually, there is (1) 10/3 line running in. What's with the line running in and running out to a different location? Is this feeding something else down-line and not dedicated?
Not sure I need to do some tracing of those lines.... more to follow....I didn't wire this place I just bought it...LOL I will be sure that everything is good before I plug anything in. Thanks

I am about to order my copper for both my hlt and bk. What diameter and length do you think I should use. I was planning on chilling by recircing the wort in the hlt coils full of icewater and the icewater in the bk coils with no other chiller(hope that makes sense). It seems that a lot of people on here are doing it differently. Some are using 25' some are using 50' in each and some are using 1/2 and 5/8 refrigeration tubing. I'm using 1/2 camlock fittings and 1/2 ball valves in keggles. Just looking for some opinions, Thanks.

I am about to order my copper for both my hlt and bk. What diameter and length do you think I should use. I was planning on chilling by recircing the wort in the hlt coils full of icewater and the icewater in the bk coils with no other chiller(hope that makes sense). It seems that a lot of people on here are doing it differently. Some are using 25' some are using 50' in each and some are using 1/2 and 5/8 refrigeration tubing. I'm using 1/2 camlock fittings and 1/2 ball valves in keggles. Just looking for some opinions, Thanks.

Let me try and get this straight; after the boil, you are going to fill your HLT with ice water and recirculate that through the HEX in the BK while at the same time recirculate the knockout wort through the HLT HEX? Seems as though that would be conducive to good heat transfer, although it's a little more involved than a CFC. What's your tap water temp?

If you wanted to go that route, I would recommend 1/2" copper, about 25-30 ft. That would give you more surface area than 5/8" line, but I doubt you could fit 50 ft of it in a keggle.

I bought 30 ft of 1/2" copper, coiled it around a corny keg, then trimmed it to fit in the keggle and to align with the HERMS fittings. It ended up being somewhere between 25-30 ft.

Let me know if I'm not understanding your intent correctly, or if you have any more questions.

TB

You have it right, I was hoping it would get me to lager pitching temp without having to get a counterflow chiller and for ales I would skip the icewater and just use hosewater in the bk hex. Was that refrigeration tubing that you used?

You have it right, I was hoping it would get me to lager pitching temp without having to get a counterflow chiller and for ales I would skip the icewater and just use hosewater in the bk hex. Was that refrigeration tubing that you used?

Yes, I believe it was refer line. It was the only 1/2" Cu flex line my local hardware store had.

TB

Thanks man, after following your build mine is almost complete. Can't wait for that first brewday, I'm sure you can relate.

Back