Ekkkkk! What is floating in my beer ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just opened my fermenter after 14 days and i was shocked to see these funny things floating
20200820_171839.jpg
on top. It smells fine but i haven't tasted it yet. Is it an infection and i just cut my loses and dump it ? 💔💔💔

What yeast did you use? Looks more like krausen that hasn't dropped than an infection to me, however they can be misleading. It may have trapped enough bubbles so stay afloat. Can you cold crash it? I suspect it will drop out.

*Edit* Even if it is infected it's still safely drinkable, just might not have the flavor you intended.

Agree with @MMX. looks like krausen. Certain yeasts tend to stay at the top more than others. If you have the ability to put your fermentor in a fridge and cool it down for a day or two, it should drop to the bottom. You can also leave it and just suck the beer underneath for bottling/kegging. Either way, that doesn't look like an infection

Edit: @Sammy86 beat me to it.

Thanks so much for your replies. I used US-05
Its my first brew so i was really hoping I wont have to dump it.

Back