Egg drop soup? S-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefRex

I once had a thought,
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First time using S-04 yeast and just want to confirm that this is normal.
My starter looks like egg drop soup and i don't want to pitch it in a RIS that i have planed.;)
Thanks in advance,Bob

IMG_0507.jpg

Does it smell ok? If so pour a little liquid off and taste it. If it tastes off don't use it. Maybe post a picture of it?

Why did you make a starter for dry yeast? That is not usually necessary. Either way that looks typical for a flocculant strain, which s-04 is.

I just looked it up and apparently it is very common for English ale yeasts to look chunky like that. I wasn't familiar with it because I don't brew with English yeast very frequently. Also the last guy was right...there is no need to make a starter with dry yeast if it is properly rehydrated. Although if you are trying to save money and you make your starter wort with grain you could make a starter to step it up to 10 gallons but probably not worth the $4 savings.

Now i'm felling really stupid:confused:
Should have been WLP002 English ale, used s-04 in a batch yesterday.
I need a long:cross: vacation in a padded room

Well that changes the need for a starter. I think the chunky characteristic is very common for wlp002.

Well that changes the need for a starter. I think the chunky characteristic is very common for wlp002.

He has WLP002 in the starter, not the S-04. Def need a starter for White Labs vial going into a RIS.

Also WLP002 and WLP005 are great strains. That chunkiness is the yeast flocculating and what causes it to drop out so well.

RmikeVT said:
He has WLP002 in the starter, not the S-04. Def need a starter for White Labs vial going into a RIS.

Also WLP002 and WLP005 are great strains. That chunkiness is the yeast flocculating and what causes it to drop out so well.

I guess I should have been more clear...I had said earlier that there is no need for a starter with dry yeast and what I meant by "that changes the need for a starter" was that since it was WLP002 instead of S-04 he was doing the right thing by making a starter.

Back