Efficiency question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bj2387

Reaction score
I've done about 8 brews now. Mostly doing BIAB with a little dme to top off. I've never taken a pre boil gravity.

My question is if I'm hitting my OG and FG or pretty close to it. What is the point of worrying about efficiency?

I've done about 8 brews now. Mostly doing BIAB with a little dme to top off. I've never taken a pre boil gravity.

My question is if I'm hitting my OG and FG or pretty close to it. What is the point of worrying about efficiency?

If you know your efficiency, and can hit it, you never have to buy (and pay for) DME.

It is not a necessity to know your efficiency to brew good beer. If you get to designing your own recipes, especially when trying to match a specific style, it becomes easier when you know how much grain you need to hit those numbers.

The only reason for the dme is I only have a 5 gallon pot and can not hold all the grain required for the beers I like to brew. I generally make 3-4 gallon batches because I do like the idea of BIAB. But also like 6-8% abv and can not fit that much grain and still do the batch size.

Ps yooper-love your recipes

The only reason for the dme is I only have a 5 gallon pot and can not hold all the grain required for the beers I like to brew. I generally make 3-4 gallon batches because I do like the idea of BIAB. But also like 6-8% abv and can not fit that much grain and still do the batch size.

Ps yooper-love your recipes

That sounds like it works just fine for you, and if you're doing partial mashes, then efficiency is really not something to worry about at all.

Latest posts

Back