Ecy03 farmhouse brett...sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingfinbar

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Too months ago I brewed a light saison, OG 1.049, and fermented it with ecy03 farmhouse Brett. Last month I took a sample, it was down to 1.010 and was tasting tart. I just took another sample, it's down to 1.008 and the tartness has asserted itself even more. It's actually rather sour. Before I pitched, I aerated lightly, which I know can have the effect of creating acetic acid with Brett, but this is actually a pretty pleasant flavor. Has anyone else noticed this with ecy03?
Fermentation was wild, started in the low seventies and naturally ramped up to around 80, bubbling like crazy. It's been sitting in my basement holding in the midseventies. I made a starter, but I had to put it in the fridge for a few weeks because I couldn't brew when expected. I allowed it to,warm back up, added some starter wort, and it took off again. I crashed it to the best of my ability and pitched the yeast.

I've used ecy03 a lot, it's never finished above 1.004 and I've never had any acidity.

I've used ecy03 a lot, it's never finished above 1.004 and I've never had any acidity.

Yea same here, always bone dry and never any acid. Ive used the blend 5 times now, my 2 most recent beers finished at 1.002 and they even had fruit in them.

I have done 4 saisons with ECY03 and all have shown that same "lemony" tartness and fruit that Fantome Saison shows. Not really sour, but obviously tart. Al told me that levels of acidity should be expected with that blend.

I never experienced sour with the blend. I had some past a year old and I only got a light musty brett flavor. I did get serious soreness from an ecy09 bottle but thats a whole other story. I may have contaminated it with a hop tolerant lacto strain or it may have come in the bottle accidentally. No way to know for sure considering I didn't check the bottle on its own or anything.

smokinghole said:
I never experienced sour with the blend. I had some past a year old and I only got a light musty brett flavor. I did get serious soreness from an ecy09 bottle but thats a whole other story. I may have contaminated it with a hop tolerant lacto strain or it may have come in the bottle accidentally. No way to know for sure considering I didn't check the bottle on its own or anything.

How long ago was that you used the ECY09? In April I bought a vial and then Al said they were accidentally infected with Lacto and we could get a refund. I said I would rather just keep and use it. :)

Weird, right? My process is solid, no contamination. I posted on the ecy Facebook asking about this, and he said that this could be a symptom of not aerating enough right off the bat. No idea. Again, not like its bad, but it's TART.

My ecy09 was from last year sometime I think. I did everything possible to limit contamination on that batch. The dubbed I brewed before that ended up contaminated with a pedio strain, an I chock that up to me and gravity measurements. It eventually ended up very sour and blended in with a Flanders red batch. The beer made with the ecy09 was another dubbel and it soured decently and I ended up with an awesome beer.

Back