EC Kraus acid blend in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drifted88

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using this acid blend in beer? I’ve tried searching a few times but all I’ve come up with is “One Teaspoon Of Acid Blend Will Raise One Gallon By .15%.” There doesn’t seem to be a ph equivalent to that statement. At this point I’m just going to pick up a ph meter and start experimenting on distilled water. Any help or input would be appreciated

Are you trying to adjust mash pH? The acids in the blend produce a sour taste and so they're not the best choice to use for pH adjustment. Lactic acid or phosphoric acid are preferable.

If you're trying to make sour beer, I would strongly recommend using bacteria for souring. You'd still have the option to use some acid blend to increase the complexity of the acid profile, if you wanted. However the lactic acid is key to the flavor of sour beer, and the bacteria add desirable flavor -- the beer will taste less artificial.

Cheers

If I understand correctly then the acid blend is more for flavor adjustments and not so much chemistry. I was looking into adjusting mash ph and had this on hand. I’ll pick up some lactic or phosphoric next trip to the home brew shop. Thank you

If I understand correctly then the acid blend is more for flavor adjustments and not so much chemistry. I was looking into adjusting mash ph and had this on hand. I’ll pick up some lactic or phosphoric next trip to the home brew shop. Thank you
Yes, that's correct.

BTW, water pH is irrelevant. Mash pH and/or kettle pH are what really matter, and you'll need to use some kind of software to predict the correct amount of acid needed.
Mash Made Easy, Brun Water, Brewers Friend, etc.

It seems intimidating at first, but it's not so bad, and it definitely makes a big difference with the beer quality.

Back