EBrewSupply BCS Panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calebstringer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a DIY 100amp BCS panel. I have everything 99% buttoned up, but now ran into a question while doing my trial run. Following their wiring schematic, when I have the panel in BCS control mode, one leg of my elements will have power supplied to it. The second leg will become energized by the BCS. How does this not burn out the elements? A meter shows 120v to ground on L2, and 50v L1-L2.

Ideas?

100 amp? Can you give us the link to the schematic?

Anyway the whole point of the elements is to receive a voltage across them. That's what causes them to heat. They will burn up if the heat they generate is not sunk into a load, aka water/wort. So don't "dry" fire them.

Without the schematic we can't comment on the voltages you are meauruing. Know that SSR's need a connected load, else you will measure leakage voltage.

I don't see a 100 amp option on their site. Did you special order? Agree with @brundog, need a schematic to troubleshoot.

Don't dwell on the fact that it's a 100 amp panel. The issue/question I raise is apparent even in the 50 amp schematic. I would think that if it was an issue, then they would have all kinds of problems and have to change the drawing. But they haven't, so it has to be ok? Essentially, one leg is always hot, the the BCS is controlling the other leg. I could easily run a wire from the SSR that is only live when the BCS enables the element, using that as the power to open my contactor, but when the BCS is in PID Mode, it will be switching on and off many times a minute, even per second. There is no way the contactor can sustain that much on/off

Of course one side of the element is "hot" all the time. Current won't flow unless the circuit is complete, which is handled by the SSR/contactor on the other side.

This is all correct and by design. In truth, I am a little concerned that you are questioning this yet building a 100A panel. I suggest for you and the users' safety you have this inspected by a qualified electrical integrator before powering it up. By no means knocking you - just hoping someone doesn't get hurt.

Of course one side of the element is "hot" all the time. Current won't flow unless the circuit is complete, which is handled by the SSR/contactor on the other side.

This is all correct and by design. In truth, I am a little concerned that you are questioning this yet building a 100A panel. I suggest for you and the users' safety you have this inspected by a qualified electrical integrator before powering it up. By no means knocking you - just hoping someone doesn't get hurt.

This was my assumption, but I wanted to verify. Better be safe than sorry? I've had everything done on the panel for a while now, but have been double and triple checking everything before running a water batch. Thank you for the verification.

Back