Easy Wheat Malting (Picture Guide)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

November

...relax...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have noticed a few posts recently regarding raw wheat. It seems that more than a few people either need malted wheat but cannot get it or suddenly find themselves with a bunch of raw wheat and don't know what to do with it (me).

I thought an easy guide to home malting wheat would be helpful for both instances. I put most of these techniques from a handful of guides online and adapted some of it from malting barley. These techniques are designed for people who want to malt small amounts on their counter tops (though I have included some info on scaling up). Here we go:

1. Get it together: First, get some raw wheat and weigh out the amount you want to start with. I've done this with both soft and hard versions of red and white varieties. I recommend you start with a pound and slowly work up until you're sure how much your equipment can handle at one time.

2. Wash: Depending on your source of wheat, washing may or may not be needed. It is pretty easy so I tend to do it either way. Just put your wheat in a container (I use the same container that I use in step 3) fill it with water, let it sit for a minute, skim any floating debris off, and then drain. I do this a couple times.

3. Soak: Place the washed wheat in a container with a lid that has enough room to hold the wheat filled with water about 2 inches above the wheat. It will expand a little so leave a little extra room. To give you an idea of size, 5 pounds of wheat takes up about 3 quarts of space. Cover the container and let it sit at room temperature for about 8 hours. Now, most guides will say that 8 hours is a must, and it is what I aim for. That said, I have done this with soaks that have lasted between 6 and 12 hours without a noticeable change. So if you miss the 8 hours mark don't panic, it is probably fine.

(Note: This picture is of 3 pounds of Soft White mixed with 2 pounds of Hard Red Wheat)
7306-img-20120326-211840.jpg

4. Drain: After soaking for 8 hours in step 3, drain the wheat and put the drained but still wet wheat back into the container and let it sit for 8 hours or so.

5. Soak: After resting for 8 hours, fill the container with the wheat and water again in the same manner as step 3 and let it sit again for 8 hours.

6. Drain and Sprout: After soaking for 8 hours, drain the wheat again. By this point the wheat should start to show signes of sprouting. there wheat should have a small white button or "chit" on the bottom of the kernel. this is where the sprout and wheat will grow out of later. For now, it will just look like a little white protrusion. After you drain the wheat this time, put the drained but still wet wheat into a wide shallow container to sprout. You need something large enough to hold the wheat spread out to about 1" to 3" thick. the thinner the wheat is spread the easier the next steps will be, but if you have time to do some extra work you can go a little thicker. I use a plastic 13"x9" sheet cake/brownie container with a lid for 3 pounds or less. I use 2 of them for 5 pounds. If you are going to go bigger than this, you should build a cement backer board malting couch, which has been discussed here before. Whatever you use, just remember that in this step the wheat will expand a fair amount so leave some extra space in your container.

7. Sprout: Cover your wheat and let it sit and sprout. This will usually take about 3 days at normal room temperatures. You should occasionally spritz the wheat with water to keep it moist but not wet. You should also stir the wheat regularly. The idea is to have all the wheat sprout at the same time. In my malting experiences, the wheat on the bottom tends to sprout faster. To prevent this, stir the wheat frequently. How frequently will depend on how thick your wheat is spread out. After a day or so, you should see rootlets and a small sprout growing out of the wheat. Note that this process will occur quicker in wheat than it does in barley (2-3 days instead of 4-6).

7305-img-20120301-110313.jpg

8. When to Dry: How long to let the wheat sprout will depend on a variety of conditions. Luckily, wheat is easier to tell when it is ready than barley since it is hull-less you can easily determine when the sprout is done. You want the sprout (the little shoot growing from the bottom of the kernel towards the top on the outside of the kernel which is not to be confused with the pair of small white roots also growing out of the bottom) to be 75% to 100% the length of the wheat. I like to pick up 10 random pieces and look at them. I usually call it quits when 8 or 9 of them meet that guideline.

(Note: this sprout is not quite ready, it is at about 50%. The sprout is the part growing along the top. It is thicker and greenish/white compared to the thin white rootlets.)
7304-img-20120301-110544.jpg

9. Drying: There are three ways most people dry malts. The main thing here is that drying wheat is different from barely in that wheat is dried entirely at a low temperature of 95F-110F:

A: Food Dehydrator: I got a cheap one from Wal-Mart. It has various temperature settings and actually holds a temp pretty well. Depending on how many trays yours has you should be able to do 3-5 pounds at a time. I just dump the wheat onto the trays, the roots tend to interlock and keeps the wheat from falling through the trays. My unit takes 8-14 hours to dry a batch depending on the amount and ambient conditions.

B: Oven: I have used this for barley but not wheat because the drying temperature is so much lower. It would be hard for wheat, but I mention it just in case you have no other option.

C: The Sun: I use this method when I want to do larger batches (25 pounds or so). To do this, I dump the malt onto a sheet of porous fabric (I use the material from a destroyed trampoline) and lay it out on the pavement under the hot summer Sun. You will need to either defend from pests (birds, dogs, that darn donkey that roams the area) or fold the fabric back over top of the grain. if you live in a hot arid place like I do, this should dry a large batch in about a day.

10. Almost Done. The malt is dried when the moisture content is about 2-6% of the starting weight. I usually just take a random kernel and chew on it and stop drying when the consistency is like commercial malt. Now you have to separate the sprouts and roots from the malt. I like to put the malt into a large bucket with a lid (like a home depot Homer Bucket), close the lid and shake the snot out of it. This should knock most of the roots and sprout off. Then I turn on a fan, use the wind, or use a shop-vac on blow and pour the malt from one bucket to another from a couple feet up. As the malt falls through the air stream the wind will carry the roots and sprouts away from the bucket that the malt lands in. Obviously, this will make a mess so do it outside.

11. All set. Now you should have wheat malt ready for your next project. Now the question will be asked: Does it work?

To find out the answer, I made a beer using (nearly) 100% home-malted wheat:

7527-img-20120420-165415.jpg

Makemake Wheat
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.009
IBU: 27.5
Color: 6.92 SRM
Alcohol: 6.03%ABV

6 pounds White Wheat Malt
4 Pounds Red Wheat Malt
8oz Honey Malt
1oz Sterling @ 60m
0.5oz Sterling @ 5m

I added 1 pound of rice hulls and did a 25m protein rest at 125F, a 30m rest at 140, and a 60m rest at 152. I fermented it with WYeast 2565 Kolsch with no starter.

I used BTP to compare my OG (1.055) with the theoretical gravity of a commercial wheat malt (Briess) and found my overall effeciency to be 77% (that's about 1% off from normal on my system). Obviously, the malting process worked since there were enough enzymes from the malting to get conversion.

The beer is fantastic; light and crisp but with a nice wheat backbone. It is still a little hazy, but it is still young so I expect it to fully clear in a few weeks. I'm not a big wheat beer guy (yeah, I know, there is 150pounds of wheat in the garage that says otherwise) but I still liked how it turned out. Nice for those warm days.

Hopefully someone finds this useful.

This is awesome!! Thanks for sharing your experience. I have thought about buying some bulk wheat locally and malting it. Wifey can make flour with the bulk wheat too!!

This fall I expect to be in possession of some hard red spring wheat. What size and kind of vessel would I need for soaking the 500 to 1000 bushels I may get?:p

This is great. I'm in Kenya with limited supplies and i want to make some wheat beer from raw wheat i can get here. one question: i understand that the red and white and hard and soft have to do with wheat varieties but with the 'honey wheat' is that made from a variety or as part of the drying / curing process?
thanks for your help. I'm a beginner.
cheers, Jamie

If you are referring to the honey malt in my recipe, that is actually a barley crystal malt that is cured in such a way as to give it a honey taste. It is a specialized product and I am not sure how they do it. That said, I don't think it made much of an impact.

You can make specialty malts with wheat just as you can with barley. To make a toasted malt, place your dried wheat malt in the oven at 350F and toast until you get the color you desire. To make something like crystal malt, skip the drying process in making the malt and put the wet grain in a 200F oven. Cook this until you get to the color you desire, if you are trying for a darker color spritz it with water occasionally until you get close and then let it dry completely.

You can also toast raw wheat to varying degrees to get some interesting effects.

As an additional note to this wheat stuff, yesterday I brewed with 70 percent home malted wheat and skipped all the steps in the mash and did a single infusion at 152. I can't state as to taste or clarity yet, but I did reach 75% efficiency with 8 oz of rice hulls.

Good luck.

Hey many Thanks November. Will give it a try. I have a good friend who is a wheat farmer by Mt Kenya and he is also going to be growing some top malting two row barley in september. Really appreciate your help - I'm sort of in the beer brewing boonies here..
cheers, Jamie

I tried this last year using instructions off the home distiller's site (check this site out, they also have a lot on malting corn)...used two Homer buckets about 1/3 full (it grows!).

Remember that sprouting wheat creates a lot of heat that will spoil it if you don't cool water rinse it and aerate it regularly, especially if you are doing 10 gallons at a time. Keep sniffing it; it has a wonderful sweet smell if things are going OK.

Dried it with a 1500 watt electric heater (experiment with heat settings) under window screens for a few hours. Lay a thermometer in it and don't let it go over 120 degrees F. Stir/rake it regularly. blow the little white things off it.

Taste it; when it looks a little toasty and has a good crunch, it is kilned enough.

Stored in 1/2 gallon mason jars in freezer as I was not able to measure end moisture content and I did not want it to mold (grain mold is BAD STUFF).

Best Hefe-Weitzen you ever drank @ 8.2% ABV.

Yeah, it sure does work...getting ready to do another batch. Used Montana hard red winter wheat from my food storage stash...used ale yeast, don't like clove taste in my hef...

Purchased 600 lbs of white wheat and so far have malted 25lbs, I'm in the process of brewing my 3rd batch of beer using 6lbs of wheat malt, 1lb of 2 row pale, and a 1/2 pound of crystal 60. No rice hulls. 1 oz Williamette hops. US O5 yeast. Thus far my friends and I have been blown away with the results, the finish is dry and citrus like, very easy to drink! And the cost, comes to roughly .11 cents a beer counting water, propane and all. Thanks for the guide!

I'm glad it has helped. I have since built up a new rig to malt about 25 pounds at a time and it is just as easy and was pretty cheap to build. I'm out of town for work for another two months but I will add that part in when I get back.

I am in the middle east and this recipe along with an all wheat beer recipe on youtube has given me hope in a place that is like 1930's prohibition in the U.S.
I will post my recipe and any interesting flavors I get out of cooking my wheat at different temperatures in the oven.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. nice to try a tried and tested recipie. I am recieving my wheat today.

I realize this is an old thread, but I have a question. OP mentioned that drying in an oven should be a somewhat of a last resort. However, I have an older gas oven which remains at 98-100F due to the pilot light. Could I just leave it in the oven all day to dry? Any reason why this would be bad?

I realize this is an old thread, but I have a question. OP mentioned that drying in an oven should be a somewhat of a last resort. However, I have an older gas oven which remains at 98-100F due to the pilot light. Could I just leave it in the oven all day to dry? Any reason why this would be bad?

H-bar: I don't think it would be an issue but take this with a grain of salt since I just tried my first batch of malting wheat and this morning I had to throw it out because it had mold growing on it.

Also, I had very few of the wheat berries growing roots. I soaked 8 hours, rested 8 hours, soaked 8 hours, and then put my 3 pounds of wheat into a rectangular container with a lid. I think the lid may have been part of the problem. I did some more research this morning and found that I should probably have just covered the container with a damp towel to keep the oxygen available. I should have also put the container someplace dark.

Fortunately I have a decent amount of raw wheat to try multiple times.

Let us know if the your oven trial worked out for you.

The oven should work fine if you can keep the temp that low.

I use a loose cover, just to keep dust, bugs, and kids out. If only a few sprouted, then try with a loose or porous lid as they likely drowned. You can also shorten the soak and just do more cycles of soaking. Ive had good luck with this on some troublesome batches.

If you let it get too warm you can have a problem with mold. Try keeping it out of the light as much or you can put a little hydrogen peroxide into your soaking water.

Good luck.

Most of mine sprouted, and they're drying now. I didn't notice any sign of mold even though I kept the lid on. Where I live, I don't have much trouble with mold anyway, so maybe what I did won't work for others.

This fall I expect to be in possession of some hard red spring wheat. What size and kind of vessel would I need for soaking the 500 to 1000 bushels I may get?:p

A swimming pool lol that's a lot of wheat

Thank you! Just bought a house where the previous owner left about 50 lbs each of raw hard red and white wheats. Was wondering if I could use this in my Homebrew - just started the process with a pound of the red. Really appreciate this guidance!

Thank you! Just bought a house where the previous owner left about 50 lbs each of raw hard red and white wheats. Was wondering if I could use this in my Homebrew - just started the process with a pound of the red. Really appreciate this guidance!

I use unmalted red wheat with sufficient barley so that the enzymes in the barley convert the wheat's starch. That save the bother of trying to malt my own and I get wheat beer with as much or more wheat in it as most recipes. American 2 row will convert about double its weight in unmalted wheat so you can have 1/3 barley and 2/3 wheat.

I use unmalted red wheat with sufficient barley so that the enzymes in the barley convert the wheat's starch. That save the bother of trying to malt my own and I get wheat beer with as much or more wheat in it as most recipes. American 2 row will convert about double its weight in unmalted wheat so you can have 1/3 barley and 2/3 wheat.

So if 2row will do twice it's weight, what about 6row??

So if 2row will do twice it's weight, what about 6row??

There isn't a lot of difference in the diastatic power between American grown and malted barleys. 6 row is a little higher but not a huge amount. Here's an article and chart that tells a bit about diastatic power. http://www.eckraus.com/blog/what-is-diastatic-power-definition-chart

One other thing to consider when using the unmalted wheat is that the kernels are small and hard. You have to mill them with a narrower gap on the mill or they can just slide right through. With my Corona style mill I have the plates set as tight as I can because with BIAB I can use the very fine particles and I can convert the wheat just fine. With a roller mill you might have trouble milling the wheat fine enough. If you use a conventional mash tun you also might have trouble with the wheat clogging it up so you can't drain it if you mill too fine. Rice hulls will help as will a beta glucan rest which will help break down the sticky glucans.

Interesting, everything I have read so far (admittedly not a huge amount)is that 6 Row is far better the 2 row. Hell I have a book here that I read last night that says it is 3-4 times the DP as 2row.

I'll check out this other article now.

I also BIAB and run an ultra fine grist. I built my own mill to provide me with a far better crush then I can get out of a factory mill yet still have 90% intact hulls. You could bake with my grist, if of course you wanted a hully bread. See what I did there? :rockin: lol.

It's just I have a few million pounds of Wheat, and havn't done much with it before because I never got around to malting any. I've used some, in a few 50/50 batches, but think I will start playing with more wheat, less barley.

Granted it wasn't millions of pounds of wheat, but a surplus of wheat is why I started this. I regularly did 50/50 splits of 2 row and raw wheat without any problems. I never found the need to try 6 row. As my surplus of wheat got even higher, that's when I went to malting so I could use 100% wheat.

Right now I'm malting 20 pounds of barley for another project. Ironically, I am now completely out of wheat and I miss having it on hand!

Thanks a ton for posting this! Glad I found it. I have about 25 pounds of raw hard red winter wheat and only need a couple pounds for some carrot wine I have planned. I'm not a huge wheat beer fan but it will be nice to have a quantity of free wheat malt stashed away for when I need it!

Glad to see people to finding use in this.

I just got 50lbs of hard white wheat. I'm going to malt some and then lightly smoke it with pecan wood. Should make a nice addition to a porter for winter.

I'm curious how you smoke it. Having a wood stove, I have a bunch of apple, cherry and hickory wood at my disposal. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

I put trays of malt in an upright propane smoker. I've done both brief high heat lots of smoke and longer low little smoke and prefer the long/low method. Either way I usually plan for a loss of gravity contribution in the resulting smoke malt due to the heat and usually compensate with extra two row.

I would like to try cold smoking, but I don't have the gear for it. I keep pecan, mesquite, and peach on hand for such projects.

What kind of time frame would I be looking at with the long/low method? I have access to a commercial size smoker at a processing facility and can do both hot and cold smoke. They use hickory which could be and interesting addition for a smoked wheat beer. I have a small hot smoker myself that I could play around with also.

I usually go between one and two hours but it just depends on what kind of intensity you want and how much contact with smoke your malt gets in the smoker. If you have the means to keep the smoke temp at 95-110, which I don't, you could combine the smoking and drying phase into one. In that case I would smoke until the malt was dried. That would produce an interesting product.

I will be interested to hear your results.

OP - Where do you source your unmalted wheat. If it's seed, I assume in the spring? I skimmed the thread but must have missed it.

I typically get mine from local food co-ops. I think this last batch came from bountiful baskets. My wife typically watches several co-ops for grain and bulk produce.

Can you over-dry the malted wheat? If you do, what would happen? I'm using a cheap dehydrator from Walmart, It blows at ~150F, And I left the wheat on for about 36 hours.

Also, I've read that you should let the malt sit for two weeks or so before using it once you've completed the process. Whats the reason for this, and is it necessary?

Just reading this old post. Thank you for the information. I used to make wheatgrass, so was not really worried about attempting home malting. That said, my OLD wheat had a terrible sprouting rate. Will try it again someday with your soaking times, but till then am trying with a new bag. $15 for 50lbs makes it s fun experiment.

Drilled out the bottom of a homer bucket with 200+ .1" holes. Makes soaking and draining super easy.

Back