East coast IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I'm gonna try a shot at that trillium, treehouse style hazy juicy IPA. I make most of my IPAs in this style hop wise but I'd like that hazy look that they have that all seems to lend body and mouthfeel. So here's my plan, what do ya think.

Marris otter mainly because its thicker fuller base malt 8o%
Flaked wheat 18%
Flaked oats 2%

Using warrior to bitter then azzaca and el dorado late additions and a 4oz hop stand. Adjusting RO water to get 5.3 mash pH. Thinking of mash temp of 154 to keep the body up there. Targeting a 1.062 OG. So it was a spur of the moment brew for Friday so I'll be using a dry yeast thinking 04 would be my best bet, even though it seems Conan is a big factor to these style beers, but 04 holds more body than a Cali ale yeast unless Nottingham would be another choice. Thoughts,suggestions?

The haze is probably more from the hop oils. The grain bill seems like it would give nice body.

Nottingham will dry it out more than 04. Maybe try US-05 if you want it a bit cleaner on the yeast profile.

If you are set on hazy add some flour to the mash, it will give you what you are looking for

If you are set on hazy add some flour to the mash, it will give you what you are looking for

I've seen this and it's just weird to me but does it lend anything else to the overall body of the beer or does it just cause the haze. Otherwise I think like the above poster said maybe they're beers are mostly hazy from an insane late amount of hop additions. Idk.

The haze is from hop oils. It lends no body.

Like haze from big whirlpool/hop stand and dry hops? I want haze like they get it and I just don't wanna believe it's from flour added to the mash I wanna do it like they do it which from what I've seen its not murky but def not see through. I'm adding 8oz of hops with the oil and whirlpool and plan a 3oz dry hop which is what I do for my 5 gal batches. Maybe I should plan a bigger hopstand and dry hop?

Sorry I didn't mean to be misleading, I wasn't trying to say that is what they do as I highly highly doubt it is I was just saying that if you want a haze that flour would work for you.

Sorry I didn't mean to be misleading, I wasn't trying to say that is what they do as I highly highly doubt it is I was just saying that if you want a haze that flour would work for you.

No prob you weren't misleading as MoOps makes an IPA In this style with flour and I'm hoping to trade with him to try it. It's not just the haze I want but how to get the haze and maybe they do add flour but no one really knows I just can't see them adding flour, don't know why just a feeling that it's maybe more from hop haze and non filtering. Guess that's why as home brewers we try these things to replicate their recipes and why these breweries are so mysterious.

I think Vienna also works as an alternative to Marris Otter. Haven't compared them side by side but people who have say they're pretty similar (both a touch toasty) but Vienna is a bit less sweet.

I think Vienna also works as an alternative to Marris Otter. Haven't compared them side by side but people who have say they're pretty similar (both a touch toasty) but Vienna is a bit less sweet.

Agree. I use Vienna in my base IPA recipes with two row. I love mo as I use it in all my smash style beers as it has the body and a touch of sweetness with a fuller body than 2 row. That's why I thought it'd be good in this recipe with no crystal malts. I love experimenting that's what's great about home brewing.

When I make an American IPA I use 2 row american hops and yeast
When I make a British IPA I use Marris Otter British hops and yeast
When I make a German IPA I use Munich.....get my picture?

Somewhat off topic as I've never had a hazy IPA and living in Hawai`i probably will never see an East Coast IPA unless I travel way east.

I'm gonna try a shot at that trillium, treehouse style hazy juicy IPA. I make most of my IPAs in this style hop wise but I'd like that hazy look that they have that all seems to lend body and mouthfeel. So here's my plan, what do ya think.

Marris otter mainly because its thicker fuller base malt 8o%
Flaked wheat 18%
Flaked oats 2%

Using warrior to bitter then azzaca and el dorado late additions and a 4oz hop stand. Adjusting RO water to get 5.3 mash pH. Thinking of mash temp of 154 to keep the body up there. Targeting a 1.062 OG. So it was a spur of the moment brew for Friday so I'll be using a dry yeast thinking 04 would be my best bet, even though it seems Conan is a big factor to these style beers, but 04 holds more body than a Cali ale yeast unless Nottingham would be another choice. Thoughts,suggestions?
How this turn out? Curious about the no crystal malt aspect. What yeast did you settle with?

One of the recent Treehouse style IPA's thread confirmed they don't use flour in any of their beers. They noted the amount of hops in the beer made it impossible for them to have beer that looked any other way. This came directly from Treehouse via a post on one of their social media outlets.

How this turn out? Curious about the no crystal malt aspect. What yeast did you settle with?

Well it's different I can't put my finger on it but I think I'd back off the oats a little with all the wheat. I used us-04 and tried something different which was not cold crashing to keep some yeast in suspension to add to the haze and with 04 that was a bad idea, with the esters from the yeast and just this type of yeast in general it leaves a slick estery taste that really covers up the hops. I fermented at 66 deg so I know the yeast didn't throw esters from being to warm I think it's just a part of the 04 profile. I'd rather use even 05 or 001 next time instead of 04, and I think that's where Conan is unique it can hang in suspension but it has this apricot, peach flavor that adds to the hop profile and not overpower or detracts from it. I have some omega labs Conan that I'm planning a brew with. On th flip side I brewed another IPA using the grain bill from trilliums website for one of their IPAs and I liked it a lot better. It's 2 row, c15, white wheat, carapils and dextrose, still hazy and nice mouthfeel but drier from the dextrose and that helps the hops pop, I used 05 on that one but I can see conan really taking that beer to another level, it's an all citra hop beer too.

Well it's different I can't put my finger on it but I think I'd back off the oats a little with all the wheat. I used us-04 and tried something different which was not cold crashing to keep some yeast in suspension to add to the haze and with 04 that was a bad idea, with the esters from the yeast and just this type of yeast in general it leaves a slick estery taste that really covers up the hops. I fermented at 66 deg so I know the yeast didn't throw esters from being to warm I think it's just a part of the 04 profile. I'd rather use even 05 or 001 next time instead of 04, and I think that's where Conan is unique it can hang in suspension but it has this apricot, peach flavor that adds to the hop profile and not overpower or detracts from it. I have some omega labs Conan that I'm planning a brew with. On th flip side I brewed another IPA using the grain bill from trilliums website for one of their IPAs and I liked it a lot better. It's 2 row, c15, white wheat, carapils and dextrose, still hazy and nice mouthfeel but drier from the dextrose and that helps the hops pop, I used 05 on that one but I can see conan really taking that beer to another level, it's an all citra hop beer too.
Intresting. I tend to lean toward the east coast ipa style. This one caught my eye because of the maris otter and no crystal. I just brewed an esb so I'm on a toasty/ bready kick right now. Was Curious as to how that type of grain bill would go with american hops. I can see the yeast playing an especially important role with a recipe like that. Wouldn't think you would want a ton of esters. I would think something clean that accentuates malt and hops.

dude living in Lansing where you get TreeHouse and Trillium? I live driving distance to both and pick some up whenever I can ... the flavor, and the price, has inspired my return to brewing. this is the style I want to brew over all others, amazing beer. There are some recipes in the recipe section that seem to be dialing it in.

Intresting. I tend to lean toward the east coast ipa style. This one caught my eye because of the maris otter and no crystal. I just brewed an esb so I'm on a toasty/ bready kick right now. Was Curious as to how that type of grain bill would go with american hops. I can see the yeast playing an especially important role with a recipe like that. Wouldn't think you would want a ton of esters. I would think something clean that accentuates malt and hops.

I think mo is great with American hops it's the only grain I use in my smash beers and my dipas. I just think that this batch came off diff due to the yeast and me not cold crashing it to try something diff. I bet if I used 05 in this or 001 it would've been a lot better. I'm starting to get away from 04 as some beers I've made with it have been good but the others when I was on a big 001 kick and now have come back to it just seem to have a more crispness to them or the hops just pop more theyre a lot cleaner than 04 and at one point I liked the 04 esters but I'm moving away from that since those esters as subtle as they are will strip away some of the hop profile. So in final I still love mo, and I'd do this beer again just with a little less oats and I'd use 001 or 05 instead.

dude living in Lansing where you get TreeHouse and Trillium? I live driving distance to both and pick some up whenever I can ... the flavor, and the price, has inspired my return to brewing. this is the style I want to brew over all others, amazing beer. There are some recipes in the recipe section that seem to be dialing it in.

I can't get treehouse or trillium never had any since I have to trade and they command a lot. I just went to the Trillium website and they list all the malts and hips for each beer so I used beersmith to make a recipe out of I think one of their ipas that looked good to me and went from there.

One of the recent Treehouse style IPA's thread confirmed they don't use flour in any of their beers. They noted the amount of hops in the beer made it impossible for them to have beer that looked any other way. This came directly from Treehouse via a post on one of their social media outlets.

Which thread was this one?

I will say they are some truly unique beers. I heard someone else call it north east IPA. Heady Topper and Hill Farmstead in VT in the same league. I am no certified beer expert, but I have drank enough to know there is definitely something unique going on with this North East stuff. The Treehouse brews have such a chewy mouthfeel which I am guessing the haze is a part of, but the taste is crazy. Citrusy, but most citrusy IPAs lean towards the grapefruit end of the spectrum. TreeHouse especially is more like fresh squeezed orange-mango-papaya something like an Odwalla smoothie.

I just kicked a keg that had exactly the mouthfeel and look that you are looking for. Hop bill is completely up to you as I was doing a bit of a Star Wars shout out with Millennium and Falconer's Flight.

80% Golden Promise
8% White Wheat Malt
6% Oats
3% Vienna
3% Honey

OG 1.064 / FG 1.011
Used Wyeast 1318 London Ale III

I was thoroughly impressed. This might be my preferred IPA bill for a while. I know you are just using 04 but, for what its worth, I might make 1318 my "house" yeast and start trying it in pretty much everything.

Back