Earthy IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zlandaal

Reaction score
I've decided I've brewed too many floral/tropical IPA's in a row, so this time I'm going to switch it up. My goal is to really show case the Columbus hop in this one--I don't think I've used it in my last 4 IPA's... I'd appreciate any feedback. I'm okay with a citrus flavor to it, but I don't want it to be "sweet" tasting (I'm tired of that right now haha). I also might try to brew a second light ale with second runnings after, seeing as I usually only get 62% efficiency with this much grain.

5.5 gallons
OG: 1.076
FG: 1.013
IBU: 140/170 (Tinseth/Ranger)

18# 2 Row
0.75# Crystal 20
0.25# Carapils

Mash @150 for 60 min

60min:
2.0 oz Columbus
0.5 oz Simcoe

15min:
0.75 oz Amarillo
1.00 oz Columbus
0.50 oz Simcoe

1min (flameout):
0.75 oz Amarillo
0.50 oz Simcoe
0.50 oz Columbus

Dry hop (2 days):
0.5 oz Columbus
0.5 oz Simcoe
0.5 oz Amarillo

that is going to be very bitter....that's a crazy amount of 60 minute hops.

5 gallon batch. I might move some of the columbus used for bittering towards the end-- maybe 1.5 oz at 60 min, 1.0 oz 15 min, 1.0 oz 1 min, 0.5 oz dry hop

Amarillo and Simcoe are still going to give you floral/fruity. If you want earthy look into using a mix of EKG/Fuggles.

That also looks like a LOT of grain and a LOT of bittering hops. It seems like the OG should be higher than 1.076

Maybe with that amount of hops you can set your first addition at 30 min instead of 60 and continue as scheduled

Oh and if you want earthy, consider using Coopers Yeast :) I never get over how it just kills a brew

Amarillo and Simcoe are still going to give you floral/fruity. If you want earthy look into using a mix of EKG/Fuggles.

That also looks like a LOT of grain and a LOT of bittering hops. It seems like the OG should be higher than 1.076

I'm fine with some floral/fruit, just less than the ones I made before (using just Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo/Mosaic)

My efficiency is only ~62% with grain bills this large. I might try parti-gyle on this batch and sparge with 7 gallons of water after I collect my runnings. If I get a high enough gravity (can boil down to 1.030+), I'm running to my LHBS and picking up more hops/yeast.

I'm moving 1oz of the columbus to 30min. It gives me 90 IBU's in bittering hops, which is around what I'm looking for.

Back