Earliest Time it is "Acceptable" to drink on brew day...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had two pints this morning at 4AM. But that's when I got home from work.

I am a technical alcoholic because of how much I drink (2 or more standard drinks in a day) rather than when I snarf them back.

And on that note, I remember my mother about to raise Cain when I opened a bottle at 8 AM one day. Just as she opened her mouth, I told her I had just gotten home from a 12 hour night shift. Her reply was, "Have another when that is done."

OH man, you guys are hilarious!!!

ELEVEN PAGES already and the first post was March 20? I'd say you hit a strong topic, hahahaha.

To answer the question: "when you damned well feel like it, if you're the host. Are you awake?"

If you're not the host of the brew day, polite thing to do is wait for an offer.
;)

oddly enough I've never drank while brewing even after 16 years of it, I have no problem with anyone that does - I just always brew 1st thing in the AM, usually 6:30-7:00 and wanna have coffee at the time

now bottling is another story....

I try to keep my brew days as efficient as possible so there isn't a ton of sitting around getting drunk time. I'm usually so busy I don't have time for a beer until after the mash is started. I start strike water 6:30 or 7:00 AM so beer around 8-9. So much going on I never have the chance to get drunk. I am sleepy after I'm done though.

I remember one time I had some guys over to learn to brew and we went from coffee to beer without switching cups. Beer out of a paper Starbucks cup just feels wrong.

i see your point about the coffee cups, but i feel like actual mugs would be ok for beer. (never bothered me anyway).

To answer the question: whenever you wake up is "acceptable." If it's your house and your body then do what you want. Personally, I don't drink beer until at least 4 or 5 pm which is usually about the time I am chilling the wort on brew day. I've drank while brewing before but I think it goes much smoother for me if I don't.

i love that almost every thread or question on here has people from both sides. the negative side is that you don't get one definitive answere. but the positive is that thats because there usually isn't one. so its reassurance that your way of doing things is just fine.

Chatdaw,
Just read your post on when to have a Homey. Then I looked at your Pic. My gal and I laughed as I was having a brew myself laying in her bed. The three small paintings behind your brew station are hangin' on the wall in her bedroom.
OJ gives me heartburn, so she brings me a Molson up this morn, and all I have is a yeast starter going for a brew this weekend.
So how early is too early? LOL 3 days for me!

This has been a fun thread-read!

It seems we're all pretty much in the same camp:
- Drink when you want
- Don't overdo it (too often)
- Don't drink & drive (especially to get propane)
- It's 5pm somewhere
- We all need to brew up a Breakfast Stout to have on hand for brew mornings
- Puritans gotta stop naggin' us; the Europeans got the beer part right

As a related aside, I'm a big fan of the lunchtime pint on work days...not high ABV since it'll make me want a nap!...but a 4-5% hits the spot most days!

FenoMeno said:
Chatdaw,
Just read your post on when to have a Homey. Then I looked at your Pic. My gal and I laughed as I was having a brew myself laying in her bed. The three small paintings behind your brew station are hangin' on the wall in her bedroom.
OJ gives me heartburn, so she brings me a Molson up this morn, and all I have is a yeast starter going for a brew this weekend.
So how early is too early? LOL 3 days for me!
I thought the pic was appropriate. Especially w gas prices as they are now!!

If I am Brewing, then I am drinking no matter what time of day it is. On non-brew days then I wait till dinner. Just me. :)

You guys are lightweights, don't you know beer is great on cereal? Milk? Thats for kids. Nothing like Capt'n Crunch with some pale ale, or for something really rich, Capt'n Crunch and a double chocolate stout, like a Reese's Cup in a bowl. Really, beer is grain, grain is a staple at breakfast. You guys gotta let go of the Christian Guilt. Think of the Blue Laws and time restrictions as a hangover from the Temperance movement and its bastard offspring, Prohibition. The Medieval Monks drank beer for breakfast, lunch and dinner on the days they had to fast, which included every Wed and Friday, the 6 weeks of Lent, the Days of Communion, and the week of Dormition. The days of Nativity, Eve of Thophany, Exaltation of the Cross, Beheading of John the Baptist. In addition if you were married, you had to abstain from sex on the fasting days too, which meant Wed. and Fridays.

Ready to drink yet?

Always have a homebrew while brewing, regardless of the time of day. It is a ritual. I have a four tap system.

Beer Taps.jpg

I haven't had a beer during the brew for quite a while. Sometimes I'll have one after it's in the fermentor. Mostly, though, not until I'm on my a** for the night.

My last brew day I opened my first bottle of homebrew at 8am as I started setting up. This was before breakfast, which I ate during the mash.

If I can't fully open my eyes to see the bottle opener to the bottle, then I know it's too early...

oh wait... That's why I have taps...

to maintain proper yin/yang, one must consume a homebrew(s) during brew day activities to maintain the balance. Too little or no homebrew will yield an infected brew. To much and you'll exceed your style guideline of the beer you're brewing.

harmony people!

Was wondering this morning as I am waiting for my mash to finish up...It is 1030 AM, I am brewing and feel like having a homebrew. What is the earliest you guys will dirnk on a brew day?!

You know that time when you are just waking up and you're still in a daze half asleep as you stumble to the bathroom with the light hurting your eyes if you open them too much too fast? Bingo!

I say if your brewing, you should be drinking, i would start slowly though because propane can go boom if you don't use common sense and then your brew day would not be to good. You would waste alot of tasty nectar, not to mention the shrapnel from the propane tank...

Always have a homebrew while brewing, regardless of the time of day. It is a ritual. I have a four tap system.
22362d1300973252-earliest-time-acceptable-drink-brew-day-beer-taps.jpg

...and judging by The Matrix way you've created your tap room (or the horizontal position you were in when you took the picture), it's never too early to have one or two! ;)

Also, do I see an empty tap there? Get brewing!

If I'm awake enough to brew, it's not too early to drink. I like to brew on Sunday morning and have no problem with a beer or two at 9:00 a.m.

I've definitely had a brew before 10am on a few occasions. I've even tasted samples from the thief while taking gravity readings before 8am...
It's pretty much mandatory that you drink a brew from your last batch at some point while you're brewing and/or bottling. No need to get hammered, just have one or two. :mug:

Was wondering this morning as I am waiting for my mash to finish up...It is 1030 AM, I am brewing and feel like having a homebrew. What is the earliest you guys will dirnk on a brew day?!

Well; it depends how fast you like to pound them back !! If you're one of those that drinks at a quick pace; you might want to wait half way through your brew day !! Nothing worst than drunken mistakes when you're at an important part of your brew and risk contamination. On the other hand; if you can keep it slow than you should be drinking some homebrew the whoooooole time :) !!

I suppose I'm not the first to ask the question back as "there is a time you can't drink before on any day?" ... well the clear way to solve that is to not go to bed then, and it is still 'yesterday' .. it might be yesterday atn 5am+24, but it is still yesterday until I go to sleep...

I know this is all tongue in cheek and that all of you are responsible drinkers who understand that more than 2 a day isn't healthy. Right?

Latest posts

Back