Duvel uses Scottish yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvlpdillon

Reaction score
I have tried unsuccessfully to clone Duvel in the past. The ingredients are simple enough Belgian Pils, Styrian Goldings, Czech Saaz, WLP 570, some sugar to increase OG. I throw in flaked barley for head retention. While this has been good, it was not close to a clone.

I was on the Duvel website today http://www.duvel.be/#/us/en/the_beer

The website states the yeast was imported from Scotland! Not Belgium. I do not see the pear flavor coming from a Scottish yeast.

I ran this by a buddy, who cracked open Clone Brews and this said it the beer is a blend of two beers and uses McEwan's Yeast.

This got me thinking.

I have an 8 gallon fermenter I could use as a secondary.

I could brew two small batches each around 4 gallons. One with 9 lbs pils, and 1/2 lb flaked barley, all Styrian Goldings 1/2 oz 45 minutes, 1/2 oz 15 min. Ferment with WLP 570. Then do a second batch also at 4 gallons with 9 lbs of pils, and 1/2 lb flaked barley, all Czech Saaz 1/2 oz 45 minutes, and 1/2 oz 15
min. Ferment with WLP028. Both will be at basement temps so high 60's ambient, real fermentation would be low to mid 70's.

After primary is complete for each batch blend the two together in equal
parts in my 8 gallon fermenter and lager for 6-8 weeks.

I have never heard of the Scottish thing, but it is worth a try.

Sounds like a valiant endeavor!I've tried a clone duvel or two myself with fair-to-middlin results at best.

I think Duvel ferments at 90 F. Unless you can get your ferment temps up to 85 F+, you are not going to get anything like the original beer.

I may be wrong, but I thought the origins of the Duvel strain was a wine yeast.

Getting a beer to ferment at 90F is easy. I do this with my Berliner Weisse to grow lactic acid.

This will sound slightly complicated. I assure you it is not.

I place my sealed primary fermenter in my cleaned, cooled, and wider brew kettle. I fill the kettle with water creating a water jacket. I place an aquarium thermometer in the brew kettle. This holds the water jacket of the brew kettle at 90.

The website states the yeast was imported from Scotland! Not Belgium. I do not see the pear flavor coming from a Scottish yeast.

from BLAM
The yeast was from a McEvan's Scotch Ale after WW1. The culture had between ten and twenty strains, and De Clerck "took them apart" to isolate one.

and yes the yeast will throw "pear" everytime.

More brewing info posted here>
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=91867&start=0

I think Duvel ferments at 90 F.

nope, pitched @61F-64F allowed to rise up to 79F - 84F

Latest posts

Back