Dusty Scoby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norrin2

Reaction score
I've been brewing kombucha for about a year and a half now, and never had any trouble until today. I brew two gallons at a time in two one-gallon jars. The first gallon looked good, tasted great, but the second one -- I knew something was wrong when I saw the scoby hanging around the bottom of the jar and specks in the kombucha. When I opened it up I saw that the daughter SCOBY was thin and -- dusty is the only word I know to describe it. The kombucha tasted sweet and not tart at all. I poured it out of course, but I would like to know what went wrong. It doesn't look like mold but I don't know what else it could be,

20140814_210907.jpg

Sounds like you may not be had enough starter. This happened to me once and like you, I pitched it and start a new batch

Sounds like you may not be had enough starter. This happened to me once and like you, I pitched it and start a new batch

The tea may gave gone in too hot. The Scoby looks dead, the tea sounds like it didn't ferment.

Latest posts

Back