Dunkleweizen Fermenation Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NadoHawk

Reaction score
So I just brewed an extract dunkleweizen from AIH yesterday around 14 hours ago (the kit was old, but preserved well) with a vial of White Labs 380 Hefeweizen IV yeast bottled last week (I got it from them directly) and I put the fermentation control at 20 C...since I did not seen any activity (I used a bucket for the first time, so I can't see what's going on inside...I bumped it up to 21.6 C.

Any concerns for my process and should I be worried I am not seeing airlock activity yet?

Any concerns for my process and should I be worried I am not seeing airlock activity yet?

Not at all, it can take sometimes up to 24 hours to see activity. If you didn't use a starter, it might take longer (If I recall correctly thats the liquid yeast). Sometimes those are slow starters for me. I would wait and see.

Thanks. I did not make a starter because I did not need one the last time I made a similar beer, which saw activity within 15 minutes. I'll just leave it alone for couple days.

I used the same yeast on an Oktoberfest and it took around 48 hrs to see any signs of fermentation. I actually went and bought more yeast because I thought maybe I screwed something up. I went to pitch it and saw slight signs of fermentation.

I use glass carboys, but used a bucket a while back. ( multiple brews going ) I saw no airlock activity at all. I got a little nervous, but gave it 3 days. Popped the lid and Wham! It was fermenting very nicely!

I also did the airlock check, ... push down on the lid to see if the airlock bubbles. It did.

I do love to see the airlock going like crazy, but you can't go by it.

Latest posts

Back