Dunkin' Donuts syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottypbeer

Reaction score
I recently came upon a half gallon of DD flavored syrup that is used to flavor their coffee I am planning on adding it into an oatmeal stout

Thoughts on when end of boil ... secondary?and how much should I add ... whole bottle 64oz , half bottle 32oz

I think it's hard to say not knowing what the syrup is exactly... most likely that stuff is basically corn syrup with flavoring and preservatives so if you're going to add it, I'd add after fermentation, otherwise preservatives like sodium benzoate will be detrimental to the health of your yeast.

Here is a pic of the ingredients

IMG_2486.jpg

I don't know about syrup.... But A local brewery made drunken donuts porter.. He added 2 dozen whole glazed donuts to the primary and then cask aged it... Very sweet but good

I am just really concerned about fermentation so maybe secondary will be my best bet if that's the case I will add till I like the flavor but if fermentation will continue I am sure there is a ton of sugar to ferment out not sure how that preservative will work with the yeast

Postasium Sorbate is an antimicrobial. I would not use it. However, if you want to give it a try, mix up a starter and add some of the syrup. Try to add an amount proportional to what you intend to use in the secondary. If the starter goes active, it might be OK. Though I would still be a bit suspicious.
BTW, if it is the chocolate flavor you are looking for, I have been using Olive Nation's Chocolate extract with pretty good result.

The potassium sorbate is what I use to stop yeast growth so I can back sweeten my hard lemonade. It doesn't kill the yeast just stops them from reproducing.

Latest posts

Back