Dumbest things you have done while kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbsmith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is the dumbest thing you have ever done related to kegging beer? Or maybe something you should have known about but didn't? Usually, when a person starts a thread they provide a story to get the ball (keg?) rolling, but the thing is--I have not started kegging yet, but I think I will after Christmas, so I need to learn what not to do! 🤣

Where ever this thread goes . . .

I built a new keezer, inserted my filled kegs, connected the co2 and beer lines then closed the top to let everything get to serving temp. After a few days I opened the lid. Well, one of the kegs qd leaked and I had beer on the bottom of the keezer.

Stupid me. The moral of the story - make sure all keg connections are tight. Even a little keg pressure will cause a big mess over time.

I usually pressurize a full corny keg to around 35 psi initially. After a week or two, I will release the pressure and then pressurize back to 10 or 15 psi for serving and chill. I have a kegerator for a single 5 gal corny and I put 3 and 2.5 gal cornies in my bar fridge with picnic taps. I placed one of these smaller kegs of stout in the fridge and popped on the picnic tap w/o dropping the pressure first and immediately got foam fountains from the tap. I removed the tap and released the pressure and cleaned up the mess and re-pressurized the keg for serving. Particularly messy with a stout, BTW. So I’m done with the fridge cleanup and I look to the sink where the tap and line were thrown during the foam freakout. By now, I’m sort of shaking my head and chuckling at myself over the whole dumbassery, and for some reason, I pick up the picnic tap, hold it at head height and then stick my finger into the keg end and press the plunger inside. The line was still quite full and pressurized. Why I did not simply press the tap I do not know. I never have gotten all the stout stains off the wall and ceiling.

I keep my clean, sanitized, empty kegs with about 10psi CO2 while waiting to fill. I try to always fill from the fermenter to the keg using a jumper (open on one end, QD to keg out post on other end) to help minimize oxidation from splashing. Works great, except when I forget to release the storage pressure before connecting the QD…

I had two kegs of beer. The first keg had a phenolic, chloramine tap water derived character which made it hard to drink. I fixed this by brewing with bottled water by keg #2.

I had the bright idea I could blend out the flavor issue by transferring half of keg #1 and half of keg #2 into a third keg. Then transfer the remaining keg #1 into keg #2. Thus, I would have two perfectly blended kegs of good beer.

Taste flavor thresholds being what they are, I ended up with TWO phenolic tasting kegs. You could still taste the bad issues, all I did was screw up my good keg!

(I drank them both anyway, what noob ever throws away beer!!!!!)

Last edited:
This didn't happen because of me, but I did find the mess after the fact. I worked at a homebrew shop, and we used to brew at the shop. One of the guys kegged his beer, turned the pressure up to carbonate, and for some reason, connected a party tap to it. He then left for the day. The next morning, I opened the store. I walked in to the back room, and found five gallons of beer on the floor. The tube on the party tap had popped off, shooting a stream of beer across the room. He not only drained the keg, he also drained his CO2 tank.

If you're carbonating your beer at a higher pressure, make sure any connections to the beer side have a hose clamp.

I've really only had one keg-related mishap that I can remember and it's a beaut: I once removed a beer QD from a highly pressurized keg (35 psi of beer gas) of my imperial chocolate stout and had the tiny O-ring atop its "universal poppet" wedge sideways in the beer post allowing a geyser of chocolate beer to shoot me right in my face 🤬

That was my first and only experience with universal poppets. All 16 kegs sport oem poppets...

Cheers!

I’ve been brewing for almost 15 years and have had a lot of mishaps and mess-ups, most of them due to my inattention. This kegging screw-up is no exception.

The problem actually started the day before I brewed, when I was sanitizing my 1-bbl unitank. I forgot to put the butterfly valve on the outside end of the racking arm and just put a TC end cap on the fitting. A month later, after fermentation, conditioning, extensive dry-hopping, cold crashing and carbonating the 31-gallon batch, harvest day arrived with high expectations for a delicious IPA.

When I loosened the TC clamp to remove the endcap and attach the hose with keg QD for pressure transfer to six kegs, the cap and gasket blew off and the unitank began rapidly emptying. 34° F beer was spraying everywhere as I tried to cover the outside end of the racking arm with my hand. The beer, which had been carbonating, was under 14 PSI head pressure, so it wasn’t just flowing out, it was spewing out with velocity. I was soaked, head to toe in ice-cold beer, and asking myself a couple of questions: 1. How did this happen? 2. How am I going to fix this and save the remaining beer? I was kegging alone, so there was no one to assist me.

While continuing to hold the palm of my hand over the opening, I was very fortunate to find the TC gasket in the lake on my garage floor, along with the end cap and TC clamp. Of course, I had to remove my hand, put the end cap WITH gasket in place and clamp it on; this meant more beer loss while switching from my hand to the cap. I then had to get the transfer hose in place, which meant I had to once again remove the end cap and quickly clamp on the transfer hose. Again, cold beer sprayed everywhere, but I was able to clamp the fitting in place without the silicone gasket blowing off. Problem solved.

A little over 16 gallons of IPA gushed from the fermentor to the garage floor, down my driveway and into the gutter (what a waste – talk about alcohol abuse!!). Of the remaining beer, 10 gallons went to my neighbor, as promised, for his Super Bowl party the next day. Two gallons went to my assistant brewer, and I ended up with about two gallons. Clean-up was a nightmare (beer on the ceiling, walls, equipment, etc.).

When this happened, it was not first time use of new equipment. I had that unitank for a couple of years and had run numerous batches through it with no problems. This was just pure dipshittery on my part, operating with HUA! This is my biggest brewing goof-up, BY FAR, to this very day, but I laugh about it now. I guess you know, I’ll never make that mistake again. Sláinte!

I've been kegging for years with no major mishaps (gas leaks happen to everyone), but I screwed up while putting my 12BOC2023 Crabapple Lambicky Ale on tap so I could bottle it for the beer share. I forget to turn the gas on to that tap. I had already force carbed to 30PSI at room temp, so when I attached it with no gas pressure, the sour flowed right into the CO2 hose, forever contaminating it with my house sour culture. It's not an expensive fix, but it's a pain in the @$$ to swap out the hose in the kegerator.

I usually pressurize a full corny keg to around 35 psi initially. After a week or two, I will release the pressure and then pressurize back to 10 or 15 psi for serving and chill. I have a kegerator for a single 5 gal corny and I put 3 and 2.5 gal cornies in my bar fridge with picnic taps. I placed one of these smaller kegs of stout in the fridge and popped on the picnic tap w/o dropping the pressure first and immediately got foam fountains from the tap. I removed the tap and released the pressure and cleaned up the mess and re-pressurized the keg for serving. Particularly messy with a stout, BTW. So I’m done with the fridge cleanup and I look to the sink where the tap and line were thrown during the foam freakout. By now, I’m sort of shaking my head and chuckling at myself over the whole dumbassery, and for some reason, I pick up the picnic tap, hold it at head height and then stick my finger into the keg end and press the plunger inside. The line was still quite full and pressurized. Why I did not simply press the tap I do not know. I never have gotten all the stout stains off the wall and ceiling.
Awesome Dude

Forgetting to reinstall the gas inlet tube after cleaning/sanitizing. Found it an our later in the yard where it had fallen when I was cleaning. So, I guess, it might be more of an issue of forgetting to remove the tube for cleaning than forgetting to install it...

Do kegerator/keezer issues fit in thread? ... I'm in a slow process of changing out my lines for the 3mm EVABarrier to reduce the coils of hose that hang in my way. I just changed out 2 lines of my 4 taps, and after moving the kegs and disconnects into position I automatically plugged them in.... I had not yet re-installed the tap on my winter ale.....I hope I don't have to remove the baseboard to get all that sprayed down the wall! :p
My previous kegging f-up, was to forget about 3/4 gallon of star san in a keg I was filling with a marvelous oatmeal stout....it was still drinkable, but had lost all the beautiful detail and nuance.

Do kegerator/keezer issues fit in thread? ... I'm in a slow process of changing out my lines for the 3mm EVABarrier to reduce the coils of hose that hang in my way. I just changed out 2 lines of my 4 taps, and after moving the kegs and disconnects into position I automatically plugged them in.... I had not yet re-installed the tap on my winter ale.....I hope I don't have to remove the baseboard to get all that sprayed down the wall! :p
My previous kegging f-up, was to forget about 3/4 gallon of star san in a keg I was filling with a marvelous oatmeal stout....it was still drinkable, but had lost all the beautiful detail and nuance.
That sounds like my second-dumbest mistake. I had removed my taps for a thorough cleaning, then for some foolish reason reconnected one of my beverage QDs to the keg before I had reinstalled the matching tap. I got a brief fountain of cider shooting a few feet across the garage. 😏

Back