Dumbest mistake ever OR why I'm an idiot....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzombiekitty

Reaction score
This one almost caused some severe injury.

My room mates made a batch of beer on saturday, using my equipment, including the wort chiller. I decided to make a batch of beer the following day. Things were going fairly smoothly, only issue was I ran out of propane so I had to move the brew indoors.

I finished the boil, and went to run the wort chiller. The counter was a mess, and I decided that instead of moving everything out of the way and moving 5+gallons of boiling water, I'd just keep the pot in place and run the hose from the sink to the stove and back.

It's long enough to just make it, however short enough that it can use some extra support to be kept in place. I've done this before, and usually just use a glass of water to keep the tube from moving. I hooked up the wort chiller then realized that I forgot to get the glass of water. So I think, "OK, no problem, I'll just use the water that comes from the chiller to fill the glass".

So I hold the glass and the tube in my left hand hand and turn the water on with my right hand. Can you see where this is going? Because I didn't at the time. Water instantly shoots out all over my hand.

The water coming out of a wort chiller be pretty damn hot and painful, but remember when I said my room mates had used my equipment the previous day? Well, they didn't drain the chiller. So not only did that mean that water would instantly come out of the chiller, rather than giving me an extra second to realize "You dumb ass", the water was boiling hot.

I basically ended up pouring a cup of boiling hot water all over my thumb. Holy crap that was painful. Ended up with a severe 1st degree/minor 2nd degree burn. It took a good six hours before the pain subsided. Now the skin on my thumb has a couple small blisters and is a little numb on the top, but at least the pain is gone.

Not only that but you could have thermally shocked the glass with that boiling hot water. Glad you're OK, I guess it's a lesson learned...

And on top of all that, my OG fell way short. Mostly due in part to a shorter boil, as I was experimenting with a late hop addition method.

Latest posts

Back