Duesseldorf Alt Bier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nage0049

Reaction score
I am starting in on a third alt bier. I want to create a beer that matches or comes close to Schumacher or Fuechschen Alt in Duesseldorf.

I am using really standard malts.
The question I have is what hops and yeast.

Right now I am focused on Hallertau, but am thinking of adding german spalt and Saaz.

I am using wyeast 1007 or WLP036.

My first two tries were good, but not Alt bier. They were just dark ales.

My first post here, but I have been brewing off and on for a couple of years now. I have recently picked the hobby back up.

I have used the 1007 yeast as an altbier. I had found it was very true to style. Just watch your fermentation temp. Keep it in the range and I think you'll be happy.

I will see if I can come up with my old notebooks and find my temps. So things got lost/misplaced in to recent move.

Spalt is a great hop choice for altbier. I'd save the Saaz for a lager. Both the 1007 and 036 make a very good altbier.

1007 is a good yeast. Spalt is a good hop. As I remember, there is very little late hop addition.. but, there are a number of differences between the different Alt's in Duesseldorf.

It's a relatively dry beer but it's relatively malty too. Did you cold condition your Alts?

Back