Dual Use Facility

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerSlinger

Reaction score
:off:

Ok, someone can call me an idiot but something has occurred to me because I started looking into brewing and then this past day I have been seeing what Kegging equipment there is on the market. Not because I want anything other then bottles but because I was just wondering what was out there….

So call me stupid, but it seems to me like I saw the same thing when I worked in the food service industry, now with that in mind, couldn’t a simple keg be turned to be a soda maker; from just introducing the gas and then pop the lid and throw it into bottles with your average brewing siphon and bottle filler? It seems it bears all the hallmarks of this article:

http://truetex.com/carbonation.htm

Am I completely crazy?

True soda fountains use a mixture of a syrup and carbonated water to give the final glass of soda. The soda like for instance Coke, is in the keg in syrup form. The soda fountain 'machine' mixes this with CO2 and water to give the final drink. The are a ***** to clean and keep running as the syrup forms a sticky mess. You may be able to dispense soda like a beer keg but this is not how a true soda fountain (like they have at fast food places) works.

MrSaLTy said:
True soda fountains use a mixture of a syrup and carbonated water to give the final glass of soda. The soda like for instance Coke, is in the keg in syrup form. The soda fountain 'machine' mixes this with CO2 and water to give the final drink. The are a ***** to clean and keep running as the syrup forms a sticky mess. You may be able to dispense soda like a beer keg but this is not how a true soda fountain (like they have at fast food places) works.

Well, I guess I maybe asking the wrong question....I'm wasn't asking if it would make a true soda machine because I wasn't sure that it would but it would seem to me that you could mix the syrup and water then pressurize the tank…

My question is can you unpressurize a tank or keg safely once it has been mixed with the gas. This is the thing that is too hard to tell without ever working on the equipment. It would seem to me that there would be a way to bleed a tank…and safely open it once the 60 PSI has been pulled off the top of the tank…

I know there is another way and that’s the fitting (http://www.leeners.com/kegging.html, See the bottom of the page) that connects to the CO2 tank and a plastic bottle…But a puny two liters is a very small amount when you want to throw out almost 3 cases of product…

But I would imagine that it would make a mess, but that's the nature of the beast...

Salty is accurate with respect to most current soda fountains, as almost every soda manufactuer is backing the new post mix systems in which you need a water source and a co2 source to mix and dispense.

However, pre-mix soda is still available for more portable events (I see it at conventions regularly and purchased it myself from Coke for an event). Pre-mix is finished soda in a corney keg that you use CO2 to push the soda. No water is needed for a premix system, which makes is veyr useful fo revents where tapping a water source woudl be prohibitive (like a convention at a hotel or serving fountain soda from a mobile serives station at a ball park, for example).

Thus your idea isn't crazy. In fact you've just 'rediscovered' one of the the original purposes of the corney kegs we use.

You could easily purchase soda syrup, add water and carbonate. In fact one beer company that I know of (Sprecher's) sells several flavors of soda syrup by the gallon specifically for home made rtoot beer, cream soda and other flavors using a corney system. Theoretically you could buy post mix bag boxes for all major brand sodas at Sam's or other large outlet and mix it yourself once you find out the ratio of water to syrup.

There's nothing to worry about with bleeding off the pressure. Either pull the corney keg lid blow off valve to vent the excess pressure or, if your lid doesn't have any easy way to do that (I've seen some plastic corney lids that are hard to manually vent) jsut use a phillips scredriver to push in the poppit on the gas valve to vent the pressure.

I keep a keg of soda water in my kegger (30 psi). I purchase super concentrates (23:1 mix) from the sodaclub.com. Just draw a pint, add the flavor of your choice and ice! The concentrates are in 1/2 liter bottles and 1/2 capful is the right amount for a pint of soda. Since the bottles are so small, I can keep four or five flavors in the fridge.

Many times I ice down a pint of fizzy water, I just like bubbles.

kornkob said:
Salty is accurate with respect to most current soda fountains, as almost every soda manufactuer is backing the new post mix systems in which you need a water source and a co2 source to mix and dispense.

However, pre-mix soda is still available for more portable events (I see it at conventions regularly and purchased it myself from Coke for an event). Pre-mix is finished soda in a corney keg that you use CO2 to push the soda. No water is needed for a premix system, which makes is veyr useful fo revents where tapping a water source woudl be prohibitive (like a convention at a hotel or serving fountain soda from a mobile serives station at a ball park, for example).

Thus your idea isn't crazy. In fact you've just 'rediscovered' one of the the original purposes of the corney kegs we use.

You could easily purchase soda syrup, add water and carbonate. In fact one beer company that I know of (Sprecher's) sells several flavors of soda syrup by the gallon specifically for home made rtoot beer, cream soda and other flavors using a corney system. Theoretically you could buy post mix bag boxes for all major brand sodas at Sam's or other large outlet and mix it yourself once you find out the ratio of water to syrup.

There's nothing to worry about with bleeding off the pressure. Either pull the corney keg lid blow off valve to vent the excess pressure or, if your lid doesn't have any easy way to do that (I've seen some plastic corney lids that are hard to manually vent) jsut use a phillips scredriver to push in the poppit on the gas valve to vent the pressure.

Well, what prompted this is that I use to work at McDonalds and I remember the exact same Keg being used in the basement of the facility and I often had to pour the syrup extract into those tanks and it would fill automatically with water and occasionally we had only a 6 or 8 pound CO2 tank and that would have to be changed less occasionally.

What I couldn’t believe is the fact that its soooo simple, it’s kinda like kicking yourself for not realizing it because I’ve bought thousands of dollars of that crap. Really, I wanted to experiment with reinventing the wheel and reinvent coke or do something with Open Cola…

For anyone interested, here are some of the recipes that I’m talking about:

http://www.sodamuseum.bigstep.com/generic.jhtml?pid=10
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCola

I just want to make sure that the tanks can be purged so that bottling could take place because this route, even though its more expensive but it seems that with dealing with gas that this is much safer because you have a metal container instead of plastic that could be compromised with constant reuse…Because we have a bottle deposit in this state so I would use it over and over and over again…

But I really had to ask this because this almost seems like a win, win, win situation because if I want a Keg of beer I can have it. If I see fit to have a basic soda machine, its there…and if I want to just bottle pop, I can do that to…

I’m foreseeing that this will be my next purchase after the home brew kit…

To bad banks work so slow…

:mad:

Back