Dual Meters wire question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blktre

Reaction score
Hi,

I picked up a dual voltage/amp meter with a current transformer. My panel uses din breakers and dual purpose contactors. Id like to read my total usage vs just a single element or only the 120v stuff. This is a 240v 50amp system with a RIMS. I'm trying to figure out where to put the current transformer. Any ideas?

I'm also planning to hook the red wire to the 120v coil off the main power contactor and the other wire to the neutral bus. Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance......

Current transformer would go on your incoming power. As close to the service as possible. Make sure it is the same one that you pull 120V off of.

Which red wire to what coil? You mean on your mains contactor?

Current transformer would go on your incoming power. As close to the service as possible. Make sure it is the same one that you pull 120V off of.

Which red wire to what coil? You mean on your mains contactor?

Here is a quick pic. The main power in contactor is to the right of the breakers. Almost all the 120v stuff is coming of the hot bus which has its own 15 amp breaker. The other three contactors run the BK, RIMS, and HLT. So do you have a opinion where to put the current transformer from the pic?

There is a red and black wire coming off the meter. I was thinking the red would hit the 120v coil on the side of the main power contactor next to the breakers and the black would go to the neutral bus. Which sounds odd sending black to neutral.

Sorry for the crappy phone pic...Im still wiring so this will be tidy up when done.

20140404_111203_zpsxl7ttbuv.jpg

As I can see your 120V consumers connected to the "black" bus. If so - place a transformer on a black wire coming to your main contactor (which is not wired yet).
You can connect voltmeters black and red wires to black and read wires coming from the main contactor.
Could you provide picture of you voltmeter or link to it spec to be sure?

Here is the back...Thanks btw.

51cqdKSiBeL.jpg

Another from the front.

41r7tgLgKbL.jpg

Thanks you very much. As usual people here pull through for others!!

Picture and all with excellent detail!

Back