Dual fuel burner possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yater

Reaction score
I was wondering if it is possible to have a burner plumbed to run off natural gas and propane. I want to be able to burn natural gas at home but be able to take my brew gear to a friends and brew so I would use propane there. I know propane burners run at a higher pressure with a smaller jet while a natural gas burners run at lower pressure with a larger jet to compensate. Is it possible to restrict the propane pressure so it will work with the natural gas jet.

Nothing, what if I use the regulator and jet for propane to fill a manifold that connects to the burner through the natural gas jet.

If you have a hurricane burner/banjo burner, you can get replacement orifices to run natural gas. You just unscrew the propane orifice and screw in the natural gas one. It takes just a few minutes. In my experience, you can run straight NG into these and get a nice blue flame. On the propane side, I had whatever regulator came with the hose.

This is that burner with straight piped NG.

IMAG0019.jpg

you need the jet in the throat of the venturi to work properly and get proper fuel/air ratio's, so it's one part that needs to change to get proper burning and performance.

Now that being said, on a lot of the burners used in homebrewer, they aren't that hard to change out, and really, you end up doing about as many changes just to switch connections as the jet is typically part of the brass fitting that the hose connects to on the burner.

For instance, on the blichman, they have a natural gas conversion kit (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...onversion-kit-for-blichmann-floor-burner.html) and it's the fitting on the left that has the jet in it. since it's part of your plumbing, you'll probably be changing the hose out anyway when switching back and forth.

Back