DS18B20 vs RTD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramdough

Reaction score
I am building an electric brewery and can build an RTD circuit or use a ds18b20 type sensor.

What does everyone suggest? Do I really need the better option?

My KISS, low budget, it's good enough..... Brew colleague says just do the DS route.

Thanks

Depends on what else is in your system. If you have PID's, then PT100 RTD's are easy to use and accurate. If you are building around a RaspberryPi, Arduino, etc., then the DS18b20's would be easier.

Brew on :mug:

Like everything in life... It depends. What controller are you using? DS is easier to implement and lower cost on certain hardware like an Arduino. But if super high accuracy/linearity is your goal, then RTD is better with higher cost. It is much harder to implement on non-RTD ready or open source hardware. Like Arduino.

So, I plan to use an Arduino, but I already have a schematic for implementing an RTD circuit. I guess the question is, is it worth the added effort?

For brewing on an Arduino, no, I don't think it's worth it to make the driver circuit for RTD. The one wire is basically an out of the box solution.

One small disadvantage though, which I forgot to mention is you will need to build your own probes. Not a huge deal but I don't know if DS probes exist off the shelf where RTDs do in various configurations.

I bought a bunch of small thermo wells that would barely fit bare RTD sensors (that I already own) or the DS sensors. I already plan on doing a board layout for a bunch of my other circuits I need.

So I guess the work difference is there, but probably not horrible. The question is, are RTDs that much better and are the DS sensors not quite good enough? Would I even notice a difference or would the beer benefit from better sensors?

For beer brewing, the DS is plenty. Accurate to a half of a degree C, if I recall correctly. The only critical temp is mashing (145 - 160 degs F), where you would probably calibrate it anyway. You probably could not get your physical mash medium to hold that fine of a temp difference across it anyway, unless you aggressively recirculated and mixed the mash.

I use DS18B20 in my RIMS tube. They work well, and easy to use. @BrunDog is correct, they are accurate to 0.5c (0.9 f) which I have to believe is good enough for beer. I really like the one-wire aspect too, I can have as many probes as I want on just one digital input pin, that also means I don't need a dozen xlr connectors to crowd my panel.

There are options for ready made probes for the ds18b20: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHEZ250/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687502&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B008HODWBU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=180YNXG1BMRTSHRZVADY

https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS18B20.pdf

[Edit]
Full disclosure: I've never used an RTD with an arduino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back