Brucontrol controller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irshbst70

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good source to learn how to build a control panel for a Brucontrol type system? I am going back and forth on a PID and Brucontrol type controller for my electric HERMS system. I know that Brucontrol has the Uniflex, just seeing if I could save some $$$ building it myself! I have no experience building this type of equipment but I am pretty handy and can build about anything else! I understand the importance of knowing what you are doing with electrical equipment, but I am not in a huge hurry and would like to learn this anyways. If I am better off going PID or Uniflex I get it, just exploring all options. Thanks in advance

Does anyone have a good source to learn how to build a control panel for a Brucontrol type system? I am going back and forth on a PID and Brucontrol type controller for my electric HERMS system. I know that Brucontrol has the Uniflex, just seeing if I could save some $$$ building it myself! I have no experience building this type of equipment but I am pretty handy and can build about anything else! I understand the importance of knowing what you are doing with electrical equipment, but I am not in a huge hurry and would like to learn this anyways. If I am better off going PID or Uniflex I get it, just exploring all options. Thanks in advance
Quick follow up. I just really like the idea of using the Brucontrol interface and possibilty of future expansion. Just not sure if I am in over my head.

The 175 pages of the Brucontrol thread should answer all of your questions. Much of it is prior to the uniflex, so good info on building it with arduino mega and other boards.

Thanks. Are you referring to the manual? I VERY breifly breezed through that. May need to spend more time on it. I should clarify though. I know nothing about micro controllers, SSR's, ect. and how they work together. Really need to start from the basics. I know how that sounds, I should probably go with the pre built option. But I am not trying to go crazy, just want to basically use the software to control the same functions as a PID like the electric brewery for now and try to learn as I go.
Is there a youtube video of a basic build like that I could follow?

What @swimsaid.. the manual on Brucontrol website is also a must read. As for the basics, I would look for Arduino tutorials. You won't need the programing piece as Brucontrol takes care of that, but you can find a ton of basic circuits that will help you interface with different devices. Adafruit has great tutorials.

Thank you both. I really want to try and build this on my own. Kind of a personal mission! I love the possible future capabilities that Brucontrol offers.

One last question, have any off the top of your head cost estimates to build a basic panel to just control pumps and heating elements?

Just seeing this... for a schematic, we have 30A and 50A examples posted, plus editable versions: Schematics – BruControl

In terms of cost, when it comes to a DIY panel, the basics are the same: enclosure, power feed & distribution, contactors, breakers, SSR's, receptacles, wiring, etc. The main differences are that for dedicated hardware, you need 2 or 3 PID's and a timer, whereas for BruControl, you need a microcontroller and the software. Quick look seems to show PID/timers run around $40 each, so for 2x PID's and a timer... $120, and $160 if you want the extra PID for temp reporting of your third vessel. You also need hardware switches for accessories like pumps... so maybe those are $10 each. Needs LED's and buzzer, so maybe another $20. So added up, that's $200.

For BruControl, you could use a simple Arduino MEGA and a screw shield for the microcontroller (interface) - these will be about $30 total. Assuming the connection tot he computer is Ethernet or Wi-Fi, you will need a shield - these run about $30. If you If you want to use RTD sensors over 1-wire, each probe will add about $20, so say $60. You'll probably want a relay board to handle switching pumps and other accessories. These run about $15 for 8 channels. Software is $170 for the Advanced version. So added up, that's $275.

So the hardware difference is about $75 (rough estimate), assuming you already have a computer for BruControl at your disposal. Would be almost nothing if not using RTD probes. The dedicated hardware requires more drilling/cutting and wiring, so there is more labor there that offsets this, depending on how the builder's time is accounted for. If you are super cost sensitive, this difference may matter, but in the context of the overall cost of the panel, it's a small percentage. And when aggregated into the full brewery, it's practically negligible. However, the main consideration to think about is the future path. With dedicated hardware, you are essentially dead-ended. Any upgrades will take a dramatic re-build or modification. With a software based approach, you have almost limitless upgrade options, especially if you plan for it in this initial build. A MEGA has ~45 I/O... so that could be 45 PID's, 45 switches, 45 sensors, etc... So if you are building in stages, or potentially want the option to develop further in the future, you have the flexibility.

Another miss with dedicated hardware is data logging and reporting. For example, no graph of your temperature history to see aberrant temps and swings. The other difference is automation. Dedicated hardware has no automation options. This means no mash ramping, no boil-over protection, no sparging, no pump control, no valve control, no volume or flow measurement, etc. When you add motorized ball valves to a rig, it makes it nearly 75% automated. And automation does not mean the brewer isn't brewing - just driving consistency and efficiency.

I personally think anyone building a panel today using dedicated hardware is truly limiting their brewing potential, but I realize there is relative safety in doing what has always been done in the past. In fairness, if you don't like the idea of BruControl and its application cost, you could take a look at other software based solutions like CraftBeerPi - a Raspberry Pi is ~$100 and the software is free. Support is only community based there, but the hardware side would save some money.

When you factor in learning curve and time of building your own panel, I do not know how much money you save. Assuming your time has value. Also getting something pre-built gets you up and brewing sooner.

Devices like the uniflex might seem expensive at first. But they are packed with experience and somebody else's learning curve and errors. Do not overlook that.

If you want the challenge and the experience and challenge and learning process of building your own, go ahead.

I think the brucontrol software is very reasonably priced. The company is invested in providing a good product and service. It is as simple and as complicated as you want. Expanding is an easy path.

For the record, I have no connection with brucontrol.

Thank you Brundog and everyone else for your input. I have no issue with the software cost and definitely understand the benefits of this type of system. I will be going with Brucontrol, it was more of an issue of build the controller myself or just go with the Uniflex. I think the Uniflex is going to be the best option for me. Brundog, I will probably be contacting you through the Brucontrol website to make sure I order the right setup. Thanks again.

Back