Dryhopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwwd6

Reaction score
In the past I have just thrown in the hop pellets when dry hopping, but with the double ipa I am doing right now I have decided to use a hop bag with marbles. Is it alright to let it just sink to the bottom and sit in the dead yeast or should I attach a string of floss and suspend the bag in the middle of the carboy?

IMHO the best dry hopping comes from tying off a muslin bag to the dip tube in a keg. Huge difference compared to dry hop in secondary. Never dry hopped in the primary. Dropping a bag with marbles should be good just rack around it. I floated a bag of whole leaf once that eventually sunk and just racked around it no problem. Had to pull it out after with a coat hanger.

Personally, I tie a string to them. Mostly they'll float anyway even with 6 heavy glass marbles in there. Then again, I've usually got 2+oz in each bag. The reason why I tie a string is so that it is easy to retrieve so I can squeeze the bags real good with BBQ tongs to get all of the hop goodness out of there. This technique has been working well for me.

I dont see a problem with letting the bag sink to the bottom, but I choose to do it the other way.

Cheers,

HZ99

I let mine float,since the hop oils convect down into the beer. Like tea bags in a sun tea jar. 1oz of hops per hop sack maximum to allow for flow through.

Will the bag of hops eventually sink without marbles?

The oils of the hops eventually will mix throughout the batch of beer. I straight up throw my dry hops in the fermenter and don't use a muslin bag/marbles. I literally NEVER have a problem with aroma. It honestly boils down to your personal preference.

Back