Dryhopping a Robust Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have plans to enter a Robust Porter into an upcoming competition and I am wondering about whether or not to dryhop my robust porter. The BJCP guidelines state that "Some American versions may be dry-hopped" but I am wondering about dryhopping amounts and what would be appropriate and to style. I know from experience that I love the dryhop, but will the judges appreciate it as much as I do?

Whether or not you choose to dryhop your robust porter is up to you. I have done this a couple of times and enjoyed the results, but that being said the amount you use to dryhop should probably vary depending on the hop additions in your recipe and the variety of hops you plan to use. If you are planning on entering it into a competition, I would err on the side of caution and stick to a smaller dryhop of 1 oz. or less per 5 gallons. You may be able to do slightly more depending on the hop variety you use, but the malt is the focus in this beer.

I would rack off a gallon and NOT dry hop that for the competition and dry hop the other four gallons for personal consumption

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks to everyone who replied. It would appear that most people are against dryhopping if I am planning on entering my robust porter into a competition. Just out of curiousity has anyone else entered a dryhopped robust porter into a competition? If so, what were the judges feedback?

Back