Dry yeast expired

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,that is a whole lot of info you put in there.
But,there is only one way to find out: make a starter and throw it in. About 500ml at 1.025 shoud do.
If you see action in a few days, you can use it. If you are brewing a big beer you may want to step it up again before pitching.
I have used expired dry yeast on a few occasions and did just this,whithout a problem.

I had a package of Nottingham I found in my fridge today. I brewed up a batch and threw it in their. The exp date was July 2013....yikes. I pitched it straight from the pack at 3pm today...went to a meeting and was back home by 730pm and it is chugging right along already. I also had some old S-05 that I used in a one gallon batch last week, so far so good. Your best bet is to just make a starter and see if it takes off.

Personally I wouldnt bother with it being as cheap as it is. Liquid yeast i might try and 'save'.

If you kept it in the cupboard, either toss it or make a starter.

If you kept it in the fridge, just use it as normal. Just hydrate and go.

Dry yeast expiration dates are based on 20% loss of viability per year at room temperature (could be 40% - just guessing here). If you keep yeast in the fridge, your loss is only 4% per year and it will take nearly 15 years to get down to 50% viability, which is probably where they set the expiration date.

Back