Dry vs. Liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey1290

Reaction score
Is dry malt extract interchangeable for liquid? I have seen a few recipes that call for extract but don't specify liquid or dry. If one can be exchanged for the other, at equal weights, it won't be a problem. Anyone able to cast a little light on the subject? I know it's a real noob kind of question, but I really do want to know.

They are interchangeable, but it requires different amounts. I can't remember the exact formula, but its something like 1 pound of dry is equal to 1.25 liquid.
The recipe usually states LME or DME though.

If the recipe doesn't say dme or lme he won't know which way to convert :D I suggest putting the ingredients into a brew app and seeing which gets to the target OG.

It looked interesting...

Ingredients:
6.6 pounds, John Bull light malt extract (or other brand)
1 pound, corn sugar
2 ounces, Hallertauer hops (boil)
1/2 ounce, Hallertauer hops (finish)
12 pounds, apples (9 pounds Granny Smith, 3 pounds Macintosh)
water crystals
2 packs, Edme ale yeast
3/4 cup, corn sugar (priming)

"Water crystals"? Is that a form of salt?

The recipe calls for them to be sliced and added after the boil ends- steeping for 15 minutes. Is there a better method? I'm new to brewing and this is my first attempt at anything involving fruit... All tips are greatly appreciated.

it looks like a graff of sorts, not sure as i've never made one, but apples and sugar in the boil sounds like other recipes for graff i've seen.

Must be. Although I've only seen the recipes with juice.
OP I think you want to research this a little, to make sure this is really what you're aiming for. Might find more info in the cider forum.

Must be. Although I've only seen the recipes with juice.
OP I think you want to research this a little, to make sure this is really what you're aiming for. Might find more info in the cider forum.

yeah, usually they're made with actual cider or juice, but my guess would be that that many apples would do about the same thing.

i dont know what water crystals are. but i hate it

i'm guessing brewing salts of sorts. probably not a necessity in the recipe. i gotta second Chickypad, check out the coder forums here, you may be able to find some useful info there. :mug:

One week in the fermenter, 2 to go. I'll let you know how it looks/smells/tastes during the bottling process on March 7th. Here's to hoping! Even if it is lousy, I'll be sampling the mocha stout I just bottled the day before I brewed this one.

Sounds like a pretty neat recipe. Never thought of adding some fruit to my beer.

Did you ever figure out what water crystals were ? lol. My little pony crystals?

I'm bottling the apple brew later this week. I'll post as information becomes available.

Thanks for all of the insights and info!

Latest posts

Back