Dry Lutra airlock action in 2 Hours!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HutBrew

Reaction score
I pitched (sprinkled) a single packet of dry Lutra yeast on 5.5 gallons of a 100% weyermann floor malted Pilsen wort, at 78*F, no earlier than 8pm tonight… after cleaning up and a trip to Target and back, was walking by the bucket and saw a bubble out the corner of my eye around 10pm.

I thought I’d bumped it or something so I kneeled down and watched it for a couple minutes. No fewer than 3 burps came out of it during this time.

Is there some explanation as to why there is airlock action other than the yeast has already started fermenting?

It’s not the “cooling down” suction into bucket either, the middle ‘bobber’ in the three piece is floating up and down and gas is coming out.

image.jpg

OG for this batch was 1.047 after adjusting for temperature calibration.

I went back to the fermenter 15m later to see if it was still active, it was.

This yeast is incredible if it’s in fact fermenting after two hours from being dry.

I've only used that yeast once and yes, it started quickly. I can't say for sure how quick other than less than 5 hours. It surprised me too but it didn't finish as quickly as I expected it would. I like it though and will be using again shortly. It's not as aggressive (as in overall speed) as Lallermand Voss but Lutra dry is cleaner and flocculates better IMHO.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

Back