Dry Kolsch Yeast Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim M

Reaction score
Hey so my wife loves Kolsch particularly St. Arnold Fancy Lawnmower. She starting to help brew a little and show interest in the hobby and wants to do a Kolsch.

I’m in Texas so usually it’s best to avoid mail order liquid yeast and my local shop closed down so I’m 1+ hours or more away from a shop. I see a few dry yeast options out there with what seems to be mixed reviews or possible dry yeast prejudice. What’s your recommendations?

Well, K-97 is supposedly a Kolsch yeast. However, I have not had very good success with it, as it is tart and remains yeasty and hazy for several months. This is not what it takes to make a good Kolsch. Instead, I would reach for S-04 -- yes, I am not kidding -- as it is very clean and lager-like in my experience. Alternatively, you could go the opposite way from a cool fermented ale, and instead try a lager yeast fermented warm, in which case I might recommend W-34/70, Diamond, or S-189. Any of these would be great options... with exception of K-97 in my opinion as noted previously. I have never tried Lallemand Koln yeast but obviously this might be something worth a try as well; however, I expect it will be about the same as K-97, in which case... well who knows.

Well, K-97 is supposedly a Kolsch yeast. However, I have not had very good success with it, as it is tart and remains yeasty and hazy for several months. This is not what it takes to make a good Kolsch. Instead, I would reach for S-04 -- yes, I am not kidding -- as it is very clean and lager-like in my experience. Alternatively, you could go the opposite way from a cool fermented ale, and instead try a lager yeast fermented warm, in which case I might recommend W-34/70, Diamond, or S-189. Any of these would be great options... with exception of K-97 in my opinion as noted previously. I have never tried Lallemand Koln yeast but obviously this might be something worth a try as well; however, I expect it will be about the same as K-97, in which case... well who knows.
Yeah I’ve heard pretty mixed reviews on K-97. Sounds like for Llalemand Koln most like it but the cell count is low and really needs 2 packs for 5 gallon batch.

Your correct on the 34/70 my last 3 batches have been fermented with 34/70 @ 62 for 5 days then bumped up to 67 for 3 days and it’s off to the keg for a couple of weeks. After 2 weeks in the keg it ain’t bad but week 3 is when it turns the corner. It amazing what 7 days can do. My last batch will be transferred tomorrow and I actually used CellarScience German yeast from More Beer supposedly it’s repackaged 34/70 but cheaper and and extra gram added.

Sounds like for Llalemand Koln most like it but the cell count is low and really needs 2 packs for 5 gallon batch.
Make a starter with about a quart of extract, in 2-3 days pitch the whole thing into 5 gallons. I don't have a clue how many million or billion cells will be in the starter, but doing this with other dry yeasts has worked fine for me. Note: I've never tried the Llalemand Koln, but hope to use it soon.

I agree with the K97 reviews here. Definitely tart. I thought it would settle in the keg, but it didn't go away. I still drank it, but it's not my preferred Kolsch yeast. Have yet to try Lallemand Koln, but it's on the list. Interesting about the S-04. I've been reading about it a lot on here and decided to do a split batch Pale ale with US-05 and S04 to compare. Should be kegging in a week. Couldn't imagine it could make a legit Kolsch style ale, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

I've brewed Kolsch more than any other style and if you can plan a day around going to your "local" homebrew shop, I would highly recommend liquid yeast. Maybe visit a brewery near there? Wyeast 2565 and Omega Kolsch II are winners. Imperial Dieter is very good as well, but it ends up a touch sweet.

I think I might just try Koln and try 2 packs. If and when I get around to a Kolsch brew I will report back. You guys got an favorite recipes for an authentic style Kolsch?

Love K-97. Haven’t used it for a Kolsch, but it’s great for altbier and (maybe surprisingly, maybe not, given what some are saying about tartness) gose. I’ve made one Kolsch with Lallemand Koln, and while it didn’t come out (bad recipe, missed OG) the yeast character was (in its very subtle way) nice. I’ll try it again.

I've used K97 and Lalemand Koln and neither gave the vinous (white wine) esters of the now-defunct GigaYeast-021, a liquid yeast that is no more and was, in my opinion, better than WY2565, WLP029 which I've also used. I've not tried Omega Yeast Labs, or Imperial Dieter. Both the K97 and Lalemand Koln remained in suspension FOREVER, as @dmtaylor said.

I've used K97 and Lalemand Koln and neither gave the vinous (white wine) esters of the now-defunct GigaYeast-021, a liquid yeast that is no more and was, in my opinion, better than WY2565, WLP029 which I've also used. I've not tried Omega Yeast Labs, or Imperial Dieter. Both the K97 and Lalemand Koln remained in suspension FOREVER, as @dmtaylor said.
Yeah I’m not entering competition or anything and I’m not a clarity chaser. So I guess clarity issues wouldn’t be a big concern of mine.

After switching to LalBrew Premium Kolsch Style Ale dry yeast from White Labs - WLP029 - German/Kölsch liquid yeast, I will never go back. LalBrew ferments clean and, better yet, clears faster after cold crashing than WLP-029. I also use it with Pale and Amber Ale recipes as well.

Wyeast 2565 if you have a LHBS near.
Yeah that’s my problem my lhbs closed shop. I got a new one opening up in the near future but it’s still going to be over an hour away if traffic is good. That’s why I’m trying to stick to the dry yeast thing until the end of September. Around October I will be more comfortable with mail order liquid culture.

After switching to LalBrew Premium Kolsch Style Ale dry yeast from White Labs - WLP029 - German/Kölsch liquid yeast, I will never go back. LalBrew ferments clean and, better yet, clears faster after cold crashing than WLP-029. I also use it with Pale and Amber Ale recipes as well.
That’s cool I’m curious what’s your fermentation schedule and condition schedule look like. I’ve seen others complaining about clarity issues. Many years ago I tried 2565 and didn’t really like it.

I love Lalbrew Koln! I have used one packet and two packets, and the only difference I could see was that that two packs started faster. Both times the kolsch (same recipe) was good, very clean with a hint of citrusy, lemon and great malt expression though still crisp. Next Kolsch, which probably won't be until late next spring, I'll use one packet with a one liter starter.

That’s cool I’m curious what’s your fermentation schedule and condition schedule look like. I’ve seen others complaining about clarity issues. Many years ago I tried 2565 and didn’t really like it.
A week and a half fermenting, followed by half a week of cold crashing, then closed transfer to kegs for carbonating.

After looking at this I’m curious as to the negativity around K97. It appears according to something posted in a thread by Brewbama from the genome project that k-97, 1007, and wlp003 are all very closely related and would expect behave relatively similar in similar situations.

I’ve seen 1007 & wlp003 being recommended as a Kolsch / Alt yeast for years. I wonder if dry yeast sometimes get judged much harsher than liquid by us homebrewers? Almost like subconsciously we look for something to be wrong with it when we use it. I think I’m guilty of this in the past but dry yeast have come along. That’s something I have to remind myself of.

1658684816563.jpeg

After looking at this I’m curious as to the negativity around K97. It appears according to something posted in a thread by Brewbama from the genome project that k-97, 1007, and wlp003 are all very closely related and would expect behave relatively similar in similar situations.

I’ve seen 1007 & wlp003 being recommended as a Kolsch / Alt yeast for years. I wonder if dry yeast sometimes get judged much harsher than liquid by us homebrewers? Almost like subconsciously we look for something to be wrong with it when we use it. I think I’m guilty of this in the past but dry yeast have come along. That’s something I have to remind myself of.

View attachment 775917
I absolutely love 1007.
A lot.
It is clean and quite attenuative and wonderful in Alts, dry stouts, and when I want a drier pale. It was too dry for hoppier pales for me and totally wrong when I tried a blue moon ish wheat with it (better with S04).
But if you mean “dry, crisp, almost no ester Kolsch” then 1007 is good, but you’ll not get any white wine like 2565 or Giga021.

K-97 acts a lot like 1007 and I can clearly see a relationship and similarity in how they ferment. However, 1007 clears in a few weeks, whereas K-97 does not. So, they might be related like distant cousins, but not similar in every respect.

Lalbrew Köln is my go to for heat of summer Kölsch brewing. I have to mail order everything so I stick with dry during the summer. I've used Wyeast 2565 in the spring when shipping is not an issue and I think Lalbrew is just as good if not better.

I do rehydrate the Lalbrew yeast.

I've always liked WY1007 ... clean crisp yeast for kolsch, altbier and pseudo-lagers. Eruptive ... give plenty of head space. Takes awhile to clear, but gelatin speeds the process. Never got the kolsch "white wine" essence from it, but I've never tasted that in real Cologne kolschs either. Maybe not sensitive to it. Tried K-97 once, and it was a tart and cloudy dumper. Never used it again. I often hear it said in Homebrewtalk discussions that dry yeasts perform better after the first generation. Have any of you repitched K-97 or Koln? Noticed any differences from the initial pitch in flavor or behavior?

I made overbuilt Lalemand Koln Kolsch, saved some, expect to brew with it.....eventually? THe schedule is tricky right now.

I use this stuff. Been happy with it. K-97 would probably be my back up for making a Kolsch.
20220606_214856.jpg

Lalbrew Köln is my go to for heat of summer Kölsch brewing. I have to mail order everything so I stick with dry during the summer. I've used Wyeast 2565 in the spring when shipping is not an issue and I think Lalbrew is just as good if not better.

I do rehydrate the Lalbrew yeast.
You using 2 packs or a starter for the lalbrew?

got it off ebay I think. got it a few years ago. Harvested and repitched a few times.

Dry yeast wise I would not recommend Koln. My first go around was clove city. It's way too finnicky from my experience. I've played with pitching rates, temps, etc It's absolutely dog slow regardless of pitching rate or culturing up. I've tried pitching a full pack into 1L 1.040 wort for giggles. This yeast was sent directly to me from Lallemand. I've provided my experiences from this to Lallemand and that's why they sent the replacement yeast packets. Another member had the same experiences with this yeast. Took over 72 hours before it began fermentation on a stir plate. I verified this with daily gravity readings using a refractometer. Now once it took off I built it up to a 2L 1.040 starter for giggles. This was cold crashed, decanted, and banked up in the freezer. I built up the slurry around a year or so later. It did take off, albeit extra slow, but, by the last step this was acting like what I typically expect from a typical yeast starter. It fired off in 12 hours or so and fermented fine. It was used in a Calypso/2 row SMASH. I'm definitely not a fan of Calypso but want to try building up more slurry for a plain jane future brew to get a better feel for this strain. If you go by Lallemands recommended pitch rates I would have to recommend 3 packs bare minimum. Anywho if it were me I'd actually be eager to try a lager strain, such as w34/70, for giggles. I know it's not "kolsch" but at the end of the day I've had way better experiences with liquid yeast on this particular style. I have no issues with dry yeasts in particular except for this particular strain. If you go this route hopefully your experiences are much better than mine.

Never got the kolsch "white wine" essence from it, but I've never tasted that in real Cologne kolschs either. Maybe not sensitive to it.
Winey or grapey is probably ethyl heptanoate and I’m sensitive to it. I agree that of the half dozen Koln taphouses I’ve visited, there was none of that character in their beers. In my opinion, winey is an optional component and not a requirement. I do find that the Wyeast kolsch yeast does throw that flavor and aroma.

Winey or grapey is probably ethyl heptanoate and I’m sensitive to it. I agree that of the half dozen Koln taphouses I’ve visited, there was none of that character in their beers. In my opinion, winey is an optional component and not a requirement. I do find that the Wyeast kolsch yeast does throw that flavor and aroma.
Been meaning to ask you this for a bit since your software is what I use for water profiles after all lol What pre-programmed water profile in Bruin Water would you recommend for a kolsch? I've been using the Pilsen profile

Last edited:
I've never brewed a Kölsch - and I most likely never will -, but Gozdawa Old German Altbier 9 is a great, neutral ale yeast that should work well in a Kölsch, I think. I'm not sure whether Gozdawa is available in the US, though.

Another member had the same experiences with this yeast. Took over 72 hours before it began fermentation on a stir plate. I verified this with daily gravity readings using a refractometer. Now once it took off I built it up to a 2L 1.040 starter for giggles.
I am just curious as to why one would make a starter from dry yeast?

why one would make a starter from dry yeast?

I made a starter with a packet because:
A) Lalemand calc called for 2.3 packets in the batch I was doing and I did not have that many on hand;
B) I had been reading and rereading about progressive generations of dry yeast acting differently than first generation dry yeast pitch. Yet while I have saved an overbuilt Koln, I've yet to find time to rebrew for notable differences, because, you know, Life.

I have always looked at dry yeast as a way to avoid making a starter. I have siphoned off the yeast after fermentation and pitched that in the next beer with good results. Or make a starter before pitching it if the next beer will be brewed a month later.

Back