So What Now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim M

Reaction score
I had been planning my next brew to be a Kolsch. I haven’t done Kolsch in years due to mail order of liquid cultures are kinda dicey sometimes in Texas, but I had been seeing guys rave about the Lallamend Koln. Sadly I discovered yesterday it been discontinued.

I’ve considered K-97 but I see lots of hate pointed at it for various reasons like tartness, clarity, & being overall odd. So what now? Are there possible dry options I’m unaware of.

I know you're asking about dry options, but have you considered ordering a liquid strain when temperatures in Texas aren't too high and making a big starter to keep in the fridge for later use?

There's also yeast slanting or glycerin storage techniques, but that might be more effort than you're looking for.

http://tinyurl.com/yeastmaster

Back when forum discussion was talking about Lallemand London being discontinued, all the online stores 'sold out' pretty quickly. About a month later, some were able to get additional inventory.
Thanks for the link. According to that if I read it right m54 from Mangrove Jack maybe good. I’ve never used any Mangrove Yeast before.

I know you're asking about dry options, but have you considered ordering a liquid strain when temperatures in Texas aren't too high and making a big starter to keep in the fridge for later use?

There's also yeast slanting or glycerin storage techniques, but that might be more effort than you're looking for.
Yeah I have, but currently my life & work situation is in a strange place due to lots of unpredictable things out of my control. Dry yeast adds a little flexibility to allow the hobby.

Has Escarpment Labs yeast made it down to Texas yet? Made in Guelph, Ontario.

Got a Mangrove Jack M54 on tap now, no issues, it's good. You won't go wrong with k-97, either. I would recommend getting both splitting a batch and trying them side by side. Also it's still spring you'll be fine shipping liquid yeast the couple months.

Got a Mangrove Jack M54 on tap now, no issues, it's good. You won't go wrong with k-97, either. I would recommend getting both splitting a batch and trying them side by side. Also it's still spring you'll be fine shipping liquid yeast the couple months.
Would you mind sharing some details on your M54 beer? Thanks!

Batch size?
How Much Yeast Pitched?
Original gravity?
Fermentation schedule & temp?
Any Lag Time?

Batch size?
How Much Yeast Pitched?
Original gravity?
Fermentation schedule & temp?
Any Lag Time?
-brewed 1/24/24
-5.5gal batch
-pitched it on a California Common yeast cake
-OG 1.050 (was looking to be a little lower 1.046)
-fermented at 58-60 for 10-days, then raised to 65 for 3-5 days. Cold crashed to 32 for a week, then kegged.
- no lag, since it went on a yeast cake. My notes don't indicate if it lagged for the original California Common either.
-came out very nice. FG is 1.010. Would have liked it a little drier 1.008, but may have been the higher OG that stopped it.

I ordered 3 packs of the M54 yeast, but I think I’m starting to second guess using it after reading about long lag times with this strain. I’m a big chicken 🐓 when it comes to slow starts.

I think I’m starting to second guess using it after reading about long lag times with this strain. I’m a big chicken 🐓 when it comes to slow starts.
Did the stories you read include details on the fermentation or did they just state "slow start"? I suspect that for the stories to be useful, they would need to note, at a minimum: 1) was the yeast rehydrated? if so, how? 2) what was the starting temperature of the wort? 3) what was the wort/beer temperature profile over the first couple of days?

With the newer Lallemand strains (e.g. Verdant, New England), I dry pitch with the wort above 65F. Starting with the wort a little warmer (69F) then letting the wort drop to 67F seems to result in slightly faster starts as well.

With some older strains (Nottingham, US-05), starting the wort at 63F is not a problem.

You may want to review the MJ product information PDF for their recommendations for re-hydrating and for their observations on 'start time'.

Back