dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwheell

Reaction score
Hello all...

I currently have a IDA kit from Northern Brewer in Primary. I received this kit free from Northern Brewer as part of a promo

Followed the directions on brewing day. No issues there.

My question is on the dry hops, more specifically not adding them. I do not really care for the super hoppy IPA/IDA's, but a free kit is a free kit!

I am wondering how critical the dry hops is to actually making a drinkable beer and what would happen to the beer if I didn't use them or cut the portion down to keep it less hoppy in the bottle.

Thanks

Hello all...

I currently have a IDA kit from Northern Brewer in Primary. I received this kit free from Northern Brewer as part of a promo

Followed the directions on brewing day. No issues there.

My question is on the dry hops, more specifically not adding them. I do not really care for the super hoppy IPA/IDA's, but a free kit is a free kit!

I am wondering how critical the dry hops is to actually making a drinkable beer and what would happen to the beer if I didn't use them or cut the portion down to keep it less hoppy in the bottle.

Thanks

It's not really required. That being said the recipe is likely designed to use and balance all those hops. Could just be a regular ale kit with extra hops though. If you know all the ingredients someone on here will likely be able to give you better advice.

PIRATE’S PLUNDER INDIA DARK ALE

O.G: 1.064 READY: 6 WEEKS
1–2 weeks primary, 2–4 weeks secondary,
1–2 weeks bottle conditioning
KIT INVENTORY:
SPECIALTY GRAIN
-- NORTHERN BREWER EXCLUSIVE Nocturnal Grain Blend
FERMENTABLES
-- 3.15 lbs Northern Brewer's Gold syrup (60 min)
-- 6 lbs Northern Brewer's Gold syrup (20 min late addition)
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
-- 1 oz US Magnum (60 min)
-- 1 oz Brewer's Gold (15 min)
-- 1 oz Cascade (15 min)
-- 1 oz Brewer's Gold (5 min)
DRY HOPS
-- 1 oz Cascade
YEAST
-- DRY YEAST (default):
Safale S-04. Optimum temperature: 64–75°F

--PRIMING SUGAR
-- 5 oz Priming Sugar (save for Bottling Day)

Thanks again.

Back