Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s2cmpugh

Reaction score
Good day everyone. I recently racked my IPA on top of some Centennial hop pellets into my secondary, but I've noticed that all the hops now float on top of the beer.

Is that a problem?

Nope, that's normal. When you rack to a bottling bucket, you can just rack underneath them or throw a straining bag over your racking cane so that none of the bits get in.

my first batch (IPA) did the same... my hop bag was at the top after the 7 days i left it in my fermentation bucket

Nope, no problem at all... You might want to use a nylon bag for the next time, and include something for weight to get it into the brew... Whole hops float really well, so plan on some decent weight. I used a 1" diameter chrome ball (solid) in a bag of 1oz whole hops and it wasn't enough. I wasn't about to add any more, so I just closed up the keg (I dry hop in keg these days). Next time, I'll try either two, or three, big chrome balls in the hop sack. :eek:

My first bacth was an IPA and it called for dry hopping in secondary. I had racked my secondary into my carboy and then after 7 days I dry hopped into the carboy with whole leaf hops. When I went to rack from the carboy to my bottling bucket, I probably lost about a half gallon to a gallon of beer because the hops were clogging my syphon. Not to mention the pain it was to try and get the hops into the carboy to begin with?!

I've decided that from now on, if I'm dry hopping, a) I will just leave the beer in the primary bucket and dry hop after about 14 days or so in a mesh bag or b) I will rack the primary into a secondary bucket instead of a carboy to make it easier to dry hop.

I just made an Oberon clone where I just kept the beer in the primary. It's a wheat beer so I'm not concerned about clarity. And I just dry hopped and it seemed to be MUCH easier!

Back