dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonstewartstwin

Reaction score
I want to dry hop a pale ale, but am afraid to let oxygen in the fermenter, so i can put the hops bag in... is ok? not a problem?

it's not a problem, your carboy has CO2 covering the beer and the bit of O2 you let in won't hurt anything.

When I used raw Cascade in a dry hop for 7 days,the grain sack they were in floated. So did the pellets. But I always use muslin hop sacks for pellets,muslin grain bags for raw (whole leaf),since they take up a whole lot more room wet than pellets do.

Just throw em in, I never use bags or sacks. Pellet or leaf or whole. Well I add the hops then rack my beer on top. Every once and a while I give it a swirl to make sure they are all soaked up.

Just throw em in, I never use bags or sacks. Pellet or leaf or whole. Well I add the hops then rack my beer on top. Every once and a while I give it a swirl to make sure they are all soaked up.

This. I typically rack to secondary and add the hops first and rack on top of said dry hop additions, be it leaf or pellet. I go back and forth on using a hop bag for leaf hops so as to not clog my racking cane (although I now rack with CO2 pressure and I can blow hop leaves right through my cane this way)...

If you're not racking to secondary just dump them in (or use a bag and stuff it into your carboy and hop you can fish it out later with long fingers or some creative "we evolved from apes" tool making). That tiny bit of oxygen exposure isn't enough to make a detectable impact.

i guess i didn't swirl enuf... i threw in the whole leaf 6 days ago, and they're mostly just floating on top... (i put in 2 oz in a 5 gallon batch).... i'm gonna stir them in and wait another couple of days...

I'm going to go back to using grain/hop sacks in the boil. Hop leaves/hop cones get into absolutely everything.

jonstewartstwin said:
i guess i didn't swirl enuf... i threw in the whole leaf 6 days ago, and they're mostly just floating on top... (i put in 2 oz in a 5 gallon batch).... i'm gonna stir them in and wait another couple of days...

If they're whole leaf hops they're not going to sink. Only the pellets sink for me and even then its only half that sinks. I use pantyhose on the end of my racking cane to filter. Works like a charm.

I have only done it once so far. I just poped off the air lock and dumped the hops in. Then replaced the airlock. Easy Squeezy! :ban:

Back