dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonstewartstwin

Reaction score
when dry hopping, is hops omitted from the boil, or do you follow the recipe as is, and dry hop for extra hoppiness?

thanks!

hops in the boil, especially early on (60 min), provide bittering, hops around 15 min provide flavor, and hops after 5 min provide aroma. Dry Hopping provides aroma but no bittering.

From my (limited) understanding.

You would add hops as you normally would; dry hopping in addition to your boil will provide a stronger hop aroma to your beer. This is common among IPAs.

Also you add the dry hop after a few days of fermentation. And as everyone else said it adds a large amount of hop aroma to the beer.

wedge421 said:
Also you add the dry hop after a few days of fermentation. And as everyone else said it adds a large amount of hop aroma to the beer.

You mean a few days after fermentation is complete? It depends on how long you plan to let it sit in the primary. I usually go around 3 weeks, so I'll dry hop during the 3rd week, that way the hops are only in there for 7-10 days before getting kegged or bottled.

depends on the brew and personal preferences. IPAs >1oz

I like to keep it simple. I always do 3 weeks in primary so when dry hopping I add the hops after 2 weeks. Right now I have an IPA dry hopping with 1 oz leaf Cascade and 1/2 oz Glacier pellets.

i have a barley wine in the secondary for a week now...anyone recommend or contraindicate dry hopping that? I'd leave it for a week or so before bottling...

i have a barley wine in the secondary for a week now...anyone recommend or contraindicate dry hopping that? I'd leave it for a week or so before bottling...

I've never made a barley wine but they are supposed to be bulk aged for a long time, like months rather than weeks. Dry hopping in general is used in ales that are going to be drunk young while they still retain their fresh dry-hopped aroma.

I'd bulk age it a few months & dry hop it the week before you bottle it, which preferably is a month or so before you plan on drinking one. if it's an american one I definitely would dry hop, if its english its up to you.

is bulk conditioning necessary? I've read that bottle conditioning is fine too...if not, why not? also, how do i know if my barley wine is english or american? i got the recipe from HOME BEERMAKING THE COMPLETE BEGINNER'S GUIDEBOOK (Moore)

THANKS! and CHEERS!

bottle conditioning does work, but the problem is that alot of the hop aroma will be faded by the time it is ready to drink (its not that its undrinkable earlier, its just that it gets that much better with time). with bulk aging you're able to dry hop it at the last possible opportunity so that you can preserve more of the aroma. also, IME bulk conditioning results in a better tasting beer quicker than bottle conditioning. not sure on the science behind it, but I've tested it a few times and the bulk aged always tastes better

if you post the recipe I can tell you which it is, but typically an english barleywine uses english hops (goldings, fuggles, etc), & english/scottish yeast, whereas american uses more citrusy hops & american yeast. you can read the style guidelines if you want more details on how to differentiate: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style19.php

I used english hops then...kent goldings and fuggles...
so if the dry hopping aroma fades with time, and I bulk condition, won't the aroma still fade after i bottle, if i let the barley wine continue to age for 6 months to a year? is dryhopping only for beer which will be consumed pretty immediately?

jonstewartstwin said:
I used english hops then...kent goldings and fuggles...
so if the dry hopping aroma fades with time, and I bulk condition, won't the aroma still fade after i bottle, if i let the barley wine continue to age for 6 months to a year? is dryhopping only for beer which will be consumed pretty immediately?

If you bulk aged it for most of the time, the idea would be to cut down on the amount of time needed in the bottles before it's ready to drink. So you could bulk age for 6-12 months, then dry hop for a week or so, then bottle, and you'll be ready to drink in a month, and still have a fresh hop aroma. If you only let it sit in the carboy for a month, then bottle and let them sit for a year, it will have been a year since you dry hopped-thus losing alot of aroma.

^exactly

jonstwin: dry hopping is most typically done for IPAs and the like which are usually drunk young, but the aroma lasts longer (albeit it at a lower rate) than people give it credit. at 6 months you can still have some of the aroma left, but it won't be as pungent as when you first bottled it.

Latest posts

Back