Dry hopping with Galena hops - no relevant info found

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehaze

Reaction score
Hello there,

I know Galena are old hops and people use them for bittering, most saying it is somewhat harsh, neutral, muten aromatics and that's about it.

But when I read here: https://ychhops.com/varieties/galena that aroma profile sounds like it would be kinda awesome for dry hopping as well?

" Specific aroma descriptors include sweet fruits, pear, pineapple, blackcurrant, grapefruit, lime, gooseberry and spicy wood. " - those descriptors do not describe a neutral, aroma muted hop. On the contrary.

But does anyone have any experience with this hops for dry hopping?

Thanks in advance?

Found this, which would be enough to discourage me from ever using them late in the boil:

Gelena is most often used for general purpose bittering. It presents a clean, sometimes considered “mellow” bitterness. Like the clean bittering Magnum hop, it works well as the base bittering palate for other more flavorful and aromatic hops.

It is rarely used as a later addition hop because, according to some brewers, its use closer to the end of the boil tends to bring out too much blackcurrant — a nicer way to say catty. Another thing to keep in mind, is that at too large an addition the bitterness from this variety can turn rather harsh.

Source: https://learn.kegerator.com/galena-hops/

@ Upthewazzu --- Usually, catty/cat pee is kinda OK in IPAs and some, if not many craft beer drinkers enjoy it, but I would expect it to also give other aromas and flavours. Those descriptors are many and they kinda go around fruitty and possibly earthy/catty/woody flavours, which does not sound bad.

@ cabron99 --- Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Grapefruit and woody does not sound bad at all. Maybe paired together with something like Columbus, Citra, etc. would be even better.

If others have input/experience with this hop, please share with us.

Back