cashmere hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrannyRock

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone with experience using Cashmere hops would like to comment on their aromatic/flavor contributions. I see them name-dropped occasionally (oh you want coconut-lime? try Cashmere!) but so far descriptions seem scattered. Perhaps due to the hop not being proprietary, there's a lot of variety among the available products.

Descriptors I see being used include lemon/lime (most consistently), coconut, pear/apple, "melon", spicy, candied fruit.

I am Cashmere-curious, but before I order a pound of it: If you have used Cashmere, what did you get out of it? Where in the boil or on the cold side did you use Cashmere? What, if any, hops did you pair Cashmere with, or, having used Cashmere, what do you think it would play well with?

It was very soft when we used it, which I really liked, but it did not seem to be an overly potent hop compared to some of the other new hops.
I would say hints of melon, strawberry, cotton-candy (I could see candied fruit).

We did go a little crazy - I think whirlpool, dry-hop and keg-hop in it.

I would put it in the camp of Huel Mellon type intensity.

It was very soft when we used it, which I really liked, but it did not seem to be an overly potent hop compared to some of the other new hops.
I would say hints of melon, strawberry, cotton-candy (I could see candied fruit).

We did go a little crazy - I think whirlpool, dry-hop and keg-hop in it.

I would put it in the camp of Huel Mellon type intensity.

Did you use any of it in the boil? Or just whirlpool and cold side additions?

Cashmere hops are awesome. I used the for the first time recently in an ipa and everyone loves it. Definitely got coconut and vanilla from them initially but as it aged that was less prominant. Melon with a light citrus is what otherwise prevails.

The biggest impact was on the mouthfeel and smoothness. The beer is literally like silk.

I used large whirlpool and dry hop additions.

Did you use any of it in the boil? Or just whirlpool and cold side additions?

I just pulled up the recipe, here is the hop schedule:
Single Hop: Cashmere
1oz - 60 minutes
2oz - 10 minutes
2oz - 5 minutes
2oz - whirlpool
4oz - dry hop
2oz - keg hop

Grain bill if curious:
14.5# 2-row
.75# Munich
.5# Crystal 60

Interesting. I was planning on throwing 4oz of these into a NEIPA along with Idaho 7 and Azacca. I think I might switch the Cashmere out and use El Dorado instead.

I finally got around to throwing them into a beer. No tasting results yet, but I'm kind of bummed. I opened my package from Farmhouse Brewing Supply, and the pellets were a shade of dark green/brown and the smell was not potent. The bag hadn't lost its seal, but I can't help but think it's oxidation :'(

I ordered a new package from Yakima Valley, and it arrived just in time for dry hopping. This hop is awesome. Not quite single hop worthy, but darn close. I get coconut and generic fruit juice, with a bit of almost noble hop. It's almost as if Falconer's Flight and Loral had a baby, and the pine was lost and replaced with coconut. What really stands out is the crazy silky mouthfeel. It is noticeably more smooth and creamy than other hops that I've used with this recipe

Just bottled a farmhouse ale that I brewed with Cashmere. The aroma at bottling was interesting, to say the least. It was very fragrant with a tropical fruit note (not really lime, at all). The coconut is definitely there as well, especially as a lingering aromatic and in the aftertaste of my samples of it. Can't wait to try it when it is carbonated.

So, to update with tasting notes: I will say that the tropical fruit aroma has maintained, but after 2 weeks in bottle a limey flavor is coming through. The nuttiness on the back end is still prominent, although it is not as coconutty as at bottling. I would make this one again, but I would probably double the dry hopping to 2 oz/4 gal. At the present 1.0 oz/4 gal, it could use more aroma staying power.

My recipe was as follows for a 4 gal (fermenter) recipe:
63% Pilsner
25% Vienna
12% Wheat malt
4.4 aau Cashmere 60 min
4.4 aau Cashmere 10 min
OG = 1.055
FG = 1.008
Total IBU = 30
Dry hop with 1.0 oz Cashmere 5 day prior to bottling
Yeast = OYL-061 Voss Kveik

Just tapped a sort of experimental keg where I used a decent amount of Cashmere and I’m now really fired up on this hop.

It’s a Spelt Pale Ale of sorts. About 30% spelt between malted and flaked and some Pale Ale Malt. Used a blend of Simcoe and Cashmere in the kettle/WP/and DH. Used TYB Midwestern Ale yeast which I think is Bell’s yeast.

The citrus character coupled with the slight tartness from the Spelt is reallly cool. I really enjoy the lime like aromas I get from it. I think coupled with Motueka and a little Citra it could be amazing.

Stoked to use more of this hop in the future. Maybe even coupled with a little Sabro.

I have four ounces of cashmere too but I don’t like single hop beers - what do you all think about this combo for a “pina colada” ipa - with amounts based on hop potency.

3 parts Cashmere - coconut
2 parts Denali - pineapple
1 part Sabro- coconut

I brewed a basic beer (Simpson GP (80%), Melanoidan (5%), Flaked Barley (5%) and Rye(10%)) to evaluate Cashmere. ~24 hours ago, I carbonated 4.5 gallons and had a sample an hour ago. The yeast was WLP007. Not sure the beer is to my standards, but it met the goal of evaluating the hops. The emphasis was to push the hop's flavor and aroma profile without much bitterness (0.34g @ 60 min; 0.44g @35; 0.54g @15; 0.64g @7). Very "tropical" and it leaves this velvety mouth feel.

At this point, I'm very intrigued but will want to see how it ages (and see how the carbonic acid changes the flavor profile as 24 hours is on the short side). Even though a basic beer, I would likely keep a similar malt profile to go with these hops on my next experiment with Cashmere. I'd second the comment that it needs to be blended with other hops, but not sure exactly which at this point - maybe Citra, Lemon Drop, Amarillo, or maybe slightly pull in some spicy component from something like Cluster or Challenger but not add any overly conflicting bitterness.

Last edited:
Seems to be a wide gamut of experiences with this strain...

Cheers!

Likely due to fact that it is a “public” strain - i.e. anyone can grow it and thus terroir plays a major factor. I got some from farmhouse which he said came from Michigan - not bad but certainly did not wow me. That coupled withthe public factor leads me to pass on this hop due to inconsistency of supply.

I'm drinking my beer brewed with only Cashmere (not a smash) and really digging it. Don't like it very cold as the bittering is kind of too much but 5 minutes later in the glass, it's very nice. Much different to me. Like Sabro, this one really stands out. Not sure what would pair well with it but I have 1/2 pound more so can't wait for another brew day with it.

Latest posts

Back