"Dank" hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OliverAmelia

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to plant a mix of hops to recreate the flavor of Apollo or Columbus hops.
The idea is to make a strong dank beer.
I live in Italy and I can't plant hops like Summit, Apollo, Amarillo, Columbus, Comet and Simcoe.

What alternative hops have that type of "pot" flavour?

So far I've found on the web hops like Centennial, Chinnok, Target, Magnum, Cluster and Galena.

This are the flavour I found on the web:

Apollo aroma: Citrus, grapefruit, orange and pine notes
Columbus aroma: black pepper, licorice, curry and subtle citrus.
Summit aroma: pepper, incense, anise, orange, pink grapefruit and tangerine.
Simcoe aroma: passion fruit, pine, berry and earth characteristics.

The following are the alternative hops i can plant in Italy:
  • Chinook: aroma include grapefruit, spice, and pine.
  • Galena: aroma include sweet fruits, pear, pineapple, blackcurrant, grapefruit, lime, gooseberry and spicy wood.
  • Centennial: aroma include lemon and floral.
  • Nugget: aroma include mild, pleasant, herbal aromas.
  • Wye Target: aroma characteristics ranging from orange, to marmalade, to peppery geranium
Any suggestions?

Thanks

My vote would be for Centennial. I currently only use Kent Goldings and Centennial for everything.

If something needs to be low on bitterness, I add only Kent Goldings as early additions to the boil.
If something needs a lot of bitterness, I add Centennial early to the boil.
If something should be more malt forward, I use Kent Goldings as my flavoring/aroma/dry hop.
If I want that dank/juicy character, I use Centennial for flavoring/aroma/dry hop.

I am not suggesting you can nail every beer style known to man with just those two hops, but they cover a lot of ground just by adding them at the proper times and/or in the right combination.

Back