Dry Hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hboiardt

Reaction score
So I dry hopped my IPA on Saturday, and the hops are still sitting in the neck of the carboy....should I take a sterilized utensil and stir them in? I was only planning on dry hopping for 4 days and I fear the hops being all gathered in the neck won't do much...

1401749302718.jpg

Can you slowly drop the temp? I've had pretty good success getting hops to drop by lowering temp of fermentation chamber. Follow with 48 hr cold crash, and those suckers will be stuck to the bottom of the carby for easy transfer of beer to packaging.

I wouldnt drop the temp too low while dry hopping bc cooler temps will poorly extract oils, negating the process. Give it about a week and then cold crash. In my past experience, it has taken awhile for pellet hops to absorb and sink.

Yeah I just realized that I left my ferm chamber at 50 so I'm going to let the temp ramp up to 70 and just keg this weekend then...thanks for the input!

I wouldnt drop the temp too low while dry hopping bc cooler temps will poorly extract oils, negating the process. Give it about a week and then cold crash. In my past experience, it has taken awhile for pellet hops to absorb and sink.

it is slower, but dry hopping cold definitely doesn't negate the process. many people dry hop in kegs at serving temps just fine. in fact, I just did this yesterday and you can already taste/smell the difference

Negate was a poor wording. In my past experience dry hopping beers at serving temp, I got little to no aroma from it, unlike beers dry hopped at room temp. I assumed people why dry hopped in serving kegs at least let the hops sit in the beer at room temp for a bit before carbing/serving.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I put my dry hops in a narrow muslin bag with lead-free marbles in the bottom of the bag. I tie it off with unflavored dental floss and then suspend it into the middle of the carboy, replace the airlock and then tie the other end of the floss to my carboy handle.

Back