Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
My 10 gal brew has been in the primary for 4 days now, fermentation started quick with s 05 dry yeast. Was going to secondary and dry hop but I have decided to leave it in primary and dry hop.

My question

When should I add the dry hop pellets to the primary and should I use some sort of bag. How long do I leave it before bottling. Thanks.

I recently dry-hopped for the first time. I don't use a secondary since I cold-crash before kegging. That being said, I opted to put the hop pellets in a muslin bag, tied a string around the end of the bag and secured the other end of the string outside my fermenter. I did this so I could retrieve the hops. I've read that leaving hops in the fermenter too long can impart a grassy flavor.

As for timing, my understanding is that you want to add the dry hops well after primary fermentation has ended, so you don't lose alot of hop aroma & flavor as your beer offgases. I added mine after 2 weeks, left them in for 1 week, pulled them out, cold crashed and racked to keg, now I'm lagering/force-carbonating for 1 more week. I snuck a quick taste and it was awesome.

A week before you want to bottle/keg, dump in your dry hops. To help get rid of the hop pieces...a day or two before bottling put the carboy/bucket in your fridge to 'cold crash'. Most of the hop material will settle out and you can easily rack the beer.

10 days is about the average duration of dry hopping for me. I would not recommend going for over 14, either. So to answer your question, add the dry hops 7-14 days before you are going to bottle/keg.

EDIT: Whether or not you use a muslin bag is just a matter of preference. I usually don't use one and have never had any issues.

Hops are naturally sanitized, and don't need any additional sanitization. One of their primary purposes in beer is to prevent it from becoming infected. So you don't need to sanitize them.

They do, however, contain oxygen in flower form. That's why dry-hopping is usually best done with pellets.

Latest posts

Back