Dry hopping in corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivercity_homebrew

Reaction score
What is the best way to retrieve a hop bag from a corny keg after dry hopping?

I use a weight (4oz mason jar) to sink the hop bag to the bottom. I also keep the keg on gas while dry hopping. I just want to be able to pull the hop bag out easily.

Thanks.

Easy, drink all the beer.

I leave mine in until the keg is gone.

Or, dental floss.

I hang a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from the PR valve inside the lid by tightening a SS worm clamp around it. To extract the hops just take the lid off and the bag pulls up with it. Then just detach the bag and remove the delicious green sludge. Simple and works well.

Cheers.

Depends if the beer was warm or cold. If warm, one might want to consider retrieving the hops before too long (imo, more than a week at "room" temp is pushing your luck on the grassy-note metric).

Otoh, I routinely dry hop in serving kegs filled with cold, carbed, dispensable brew, and do indeed just "let 'em swim" until the keg kicks. I've had at least one brew last over a month with a boatload of Centennial cones in a sanitized muslin bag with not a hint of grassiness.

As an observer, I think the simplest mechanism is the "dental floss leash through the lid" approach. But I've never used it, because I don't "warm dry hop" in kegs - I do that in my carboys, using pellets, followed by a cold-crash before kegging...

Cheers!

The easiest way is to do what I do......use unflavored dental floss and tie it to the hop back suspended down about 4" from the bottom. I use glass marbles to weigh it down. The floss doesn't effect the seal at all and it takes seconds to remove the hop bag.

Back