Dry hopping: flavor evolution over time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedShirt

Reaction score
Question for this awesome community: brewed a relatively simple, all-grain APA based on my house IPA with lower gravity, lower hop load, etc. Decided to make it a bit more exciting with some dry hopping. It's been on the hops (~72F, 1 oz each of simcoe, citra, and cascade) for about 4 days and I thought I would pull a sample.

Big "vegetal" flavor right up-front, which wasn't there prior to dry hopping. Also, vegetal aroma - no classic citrus, pine, or fruit happening per usual.

My question is: is this possibly the "early" dry hop character coming through and more time would possibly help the other hop components shine? Or, would I be better off getting the beer off the hops ASAP in your opinion.

I'm inclined to let it ride, but I would really like to not have 5 gals of grass clipping pale ale in a couple weeks if someone has been in this situation before :)

Thanks for any thoughts. All welcome.

I would give it more time, I'm sure it will be fine. Maybe lower the temp a little, too. I like to dry hop around 60-65 degrees.

Agree. I have never pulled a sample while still in the dry hop schedule, but I have left hops in for months in the keg without any issues. I have heard others have gotten grass notes when they do this, but to date none of my IPA or IIPAs have had this issue. I use the same hops as you are using above in one recently, left it on the hops for 3 months (travel issues kept me too busy to keg it) and it was fine...YMMV.

Awesome, thanks partners. Will be sure to let you know how it turned out. Best to both.

I said I would post how this turned out and then promptly forgot to do that. Well, the recommendation to give it more time was spot on. The beer turned out just great and is looooong gone. Will brew again.

Back