Dry Hopping, First Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jweese74

Reaction score
I'm a tad confused, or rather; just require some clarification now. I've made my second brew, which just so happens to be my first brew from extracts and not just a plain old kit. Regardless however, it calls for dry hopping 15g of Cascade in the secondary.

Where the confusion lies however: (A) I see most people on this forums prefer not to transfer to a secondary, and find it unnecessary, so do I just dry hop into the primary after the first week of fermentation? and; (B) Just to make it really clear - to dry hop, I just toss my pellets into the fermenter, I don't have to crush them, break them up, or do anything special to them? :confused:

Just trying to avoid as many newb mistakes as possible. I know I made quite a few with my first brew.

Thanks for all responses!

~J

No need to secondary or crush up the hops, just pitch them right in there and they will settle out.

I dry hop in the primary right at the end of fermentation with pellet hops. Rather than just toss them in I prefer to bag them in a 1 gallon paint strainer bag that is weighted down with a piece of stainless but that's just me. You're fine just tossing them in.

I'd wait a little longer than after just one week of fermentation. The yeast are still probably floating around and cleaning up after themselves, which would include the stuff that makes dry hopping so great. I give my beers at least 3 weeks before I touch them.

I'd wait a little longer than after just one week of fermentation. The yeast are still probably floating around and cleaning up after themselves, which would include the stuff that makes dry hopping so great. I give my beers at least 3 weeks before I touch them.

+1 I usually give it AT LEAST 2 weeks for my beer to condition prior to dropping in my hop pellets. I don't usually secondary. I just pour the pellets straight in, no sanitization required, no breaking/smashing/grinding required.

you can drop those pellets right in the primary by themselves or in a bag. a week is safe a little longer would be better. sounds like its going to be delicious! good luck!

Thanks for all the responses.

I originally intended to keep it in the primary for 2 weeks, then the secondary for 2 weeks (following the 2-2-4 methodology), but I got a bit jumpy and ahead of myself and considered doing a 1-2-3. That being said; looks like hopping it after 2 weeks is the general consensus - so that's what I'll do.

Many thanks for the advise!

~J

I prefer transferring to secondary when dry hopping. For me, unless you have a lot of siphoning experience, the secondary method helps me get a clearer final product. You don't have to worry with as much yeast & hop sludge that way. I primary for 3-4 weeks though, then dry hop in secondary for a week. However, next time I dry hop, I'm shooting for 12 days with 2 separate additions...half day 1 & the other half day 7. Vinnie from Russian River shows it this way in his Pliny clone recipe from Zymurgy.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

What I'm reading, not only in this thread* but many others as well, leads me to believe that there still seems to be a bit of debate on whether to transfer to a secondary or not, and for how long, etc.

Would if be safe to say, when in doubt, that one could follow the general rule of 2-2-4 then? Or is this just really a matter of preference?

* edited spelling mistake

I'd let it ride for 3 weeks,just to reach FG & clear to a slight haze. Then dry hop the 4th week. You want it to be mostly settled out,so the yeasties settling don't drag the hop oils down with them.

Would if be safe to say, when in doubt, that one could follow the general rule of 2-2-4 then? Or is this just really a matter of preference?

I think any "rule" where yeast is concerned should be forgotten about. They are on their own schedule, not ours. Just dry hop when fermentation appears to be finished and you'll be good. We each have our own process (primary/secondary, bag/no bag etc.) so ultimately it's going to be whatever works best for you.

Im in the middle of a dry hop right now. Mine was in primary for 2 weeks, then secondary and dry hopped for 7 days, after which I will cold crash for a day, then move it to a keg on gas where it will sit another week before being tapped.

Some people around here are almost religiously against secondaries, and some will have you wait 6 months before tasting your beer. I say do what works for you.

I think any "rule" where yeast is concerned should be forgotten about. They are on their own schedule, not ours. Just dry hop when fermentation appears to be finished and you'll be good. We each have our own process (primary/secondary, bag/no bag etc.) so ultimately it's going to be whatever works best for you.

You know, this rings true, and is almost like a personal mantra and works for me. I suppose, unless you're brewing for competition, or re-sale, then all that really matters is 'what works for you'.

- Do it your way, ultimately you're the end user, and if you don't like how it's done, change the way you do it in the future.

Thanks, great advise from everyone, but this one gets a thumbs up (if that button even means anything lol)

Back