Dry hopping at hight temperatures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sentfromspain

Reaction score
This summer, as always where I live, it is going to be upwards of 100 degrees during the day. Now normally I would refrain from brewing until October, but this year is special because I have a blichmann 55 gallon boilermaker, a 140 gallon refrigerated milk tank (perfect for fermentation), and a lot of free time.

Now, the plan is to brew the beer, ferment it in the cool milk tank at about 68 degrees, and then do some dry hopping. I have heard that as long as the beer does the majority of the fermentation at the correct temperature, it can be stored at high temperatures without any impact on the flavor. But maybe I am misguided.

The question is: can I brew a batch, ferment it at 68 degrees until it has reached the final gravity, and then dry hop the beer in a separate container without any undesirable flavors resulting from storing the beer at high temperatures?

You'll ruin it pretty quick if it gets near 100 degrees. If I were you, I'd dry hop it and keep it at 68.

This summer, as always where I live, it is going to be upwards of 100 degrees during the day. Now normally I would refrain from brewing until October, but this year is special because I have a blichmann 55 gallon boilermaker, a 140 gallon refrigerated milk tank (perfect for fermentation), and a lot of free time.

Now, the plan is to brew the beer, ferment it in the cool milk tank at about 68 degrees, and then do some dry hopping. I have heard that as long as the beer does the majority of the fermentation at the correct temperature, it can be stored at high temperatures without any impact on the flavor. But maybe I am misguided.

The question is: can I brew a batch, ferment it at 68 degrees until it has reached the final gravity, and then dry hop the beer in a separate container without any undesirable flavors resulting from storing the beer at high temperatures?

What you're hearing is that most off flavors are produced when fermentation is hot. The yeast have high temps and can go crazy, making some crazy tasting by products. You avoid this by fermenting low. Storing is a lot more flexible but keep in mind that beer is still a living organism. You don't want your yeast dying and rupturing their guts in your beer. I wouldn't want to store it much higher than 80

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There was a study being passed around a while back, I think by some researchers at Oregon State University. They were looking at flavor & aroma extraction time from dry-hopping.

They found that with pellets, you really don't need to dry hop more than about 3 days.

So maybe you can just dry-hop quickly and then bottle/keg?

There was a study being passed around a while back, I think by some researchers at Oregon State University. They were looking at flavor & aroma extraction time from dry-hopping.

They found that with pellets, you really don't need to dry hop more than about 3 days.

So maybe you can just dry-hop quickly and then bottle/keg?

I remember seeing this also. It was a pretty well designed study. I have no idea where to find it though. Try using google scholar search and using keywords like dry hopping. How many scholarly articles can there be?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back