Dry hopping and cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll dry hop for 7-10 days.
I split the dry hop additions for hoppier beers, I'll put in hops 10 days before cold crash and again 5 days from cold crash.

I'll cold crash for 24-48 just depends on how busy vs. impatient I am at the time.

Depends on the recipe. I usually go longer than 4 days of dry hop prior to cold crash. I have had success with 24 hour cold crashing.

I raise temp to about 72, add dry hops, wait 2-3 days then crash and add gelatin. 2 more days then keg.

I raise the temp and dryhop 5-7 days.

But am I the only person who doesn't cold crash?

You most certainly are not. If there's space in my mini fridge I'll cold crash but usually there's 1 keg in there and I'm too lazy.

I'll totally concede that more yeast, trub, and hop debris ends up in my bottles, but it all falls out of suspension in the bottle anyway. Without cold crashing, I also don't have to worry about the pressure change in my fermenter sucking in oxygen and star san. It's a step I eliminated a long time ago.

Back