Dry hopping a must?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steampunk

Reaction score
Made a red ipa. And trying to figure out if I should dry hop it or let it stand on its own. Obviously I don't have to do anything but is it really out of style if it's an ipa that isn't dry hopped?

Dryhopping add some of that "in your face" hops aroma that people love about IPAs. If you don't want to dryhop, that's fine, unless you're entering it in a competition.

I always dryhop an IPA, but it's certainly not required! I just dryhopped an IIPA yesterday= 7 ounces of hops in a 10 gallon batch. I love it.

I am a fan of (very) late kettle hopping. By exposing the hops to hot wort with NO opportunity to boil off, the hop aromas are a bit different, more refined one might say and I find the bittering contribution to be less resinous. Either after flame out or with a "Hop Rocket" type device.

It's a preference but I would say 99%+ of people who want a (U.S.) IPA would expect this. I love both!

I read must like "must" as in wine making, I thought it was an interesting idea.

you don't have to dry hop, i like to because I like what it does for my beer but you don't have to.

it's just another step, it takes a little more time and costs a bit more. I like the results so I do it.

Nope, don't have to. It's all about what you're after. If you like a very strong hoppy aroma, I would say definitely dry hop!

Dry hopping is so easy to do that if there's a beer style that benefits from this, then I do it. Open lid, dump in pellets or leaves, and close lid. Spray some star san in appropriate places during this. Really no more difficult than taking a SG reading.

:mug: Saw something recently that said it was a good idea to put the hops in a cheesecloth bag or grain bag and weight the bag so that the hops sink to the bottom of the fermenter. I hadn't tried that yet.
Any thoughts or comments?

Is there a point of diminishing returns with dry hop time? What I'm asking is if there is a difference between dry hopping for 7 days v. dry hopping for 14 days.

:mug: Saw something recently that said it was a good idea to put the hops in a cheesecloth bag or grain bag and weight the bag so that the hops sink to the bottom of the fermenter. I hadn't tried that yet.
Any thoughts or comments?

Some people do this (especially with whole leaf hops) but many experienced on here say the oils disperse either way and weighing them down really does nothing but add work by sanitizing weights and a mesh bag. Personally I just toss them in (have done whole leaf as well as pellets) then either cold crash or just put siphon into a mesh bag to filter out hops when bottling/kegging.

Is there a point of diminishing returns with dry hop time? What I'm asking is if there is a difference between dry hopping for 7 days v. dry hopping for 14 days.

some do 3 to 5 days, some 7, etc...but prolonged dry hop times risk grassy flavors. Some say anything over 7 days risks this, but I have read threads of people having to prolong bottling for over a month after throwing in hops and denying any grassy notes in the finished product. I just play it safe and do avg 7 day dry hop.

Yes I've found 7 days to be the sweet spot for hoppy Pale Ale's / IPA's. A DIPA I'd bump it up a few days. I prefer to add the dry hops during the last few days of fermentation, rather than waiting till its done. Some say you'll lose hop aroma that way, but I've gotten great results from doing that.

I mean, no it isn't a must, it's your beer.

What I think you should do is, at the time you would dry hop if you chose to do so, give the beer a taste (and smell). If you're happy with it let it ride. If you'd like a more hoppy character, dry hop away. But it is really up to you.

Back