Dry hopped my DIPA with citra ugh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently made a 5 gal DIPA and dry hopped with 3 oz citra, and I love the results! I put it in a competition and 1 judge said it needs more hop aroma! Next time I'll be using more than just Citra, but regardless it certainly made a decent brew!

It was interesting to see an old thread like this get dug up, where Citra was pretty new on the market and people were saying you shouldn't use it (or other high-alpha hops) for late additions. Three years later, Citra shows up in beers all over the place, and Zombie Dust is in huge demand...and it's all-Citra.

10 days didn't seem like long enough for grassy flavors to show up. The beer from the OP's post was probably just a bit green.

Bottled mine on sunday. Already carbd. Can't believe it. What a flavor. Tons of tropical fruits. I love citra!

1oz chin
2oz cent for the boil
1 oz cent and 2oz citra 7 days dry hopped.

So damn good
Can't wait to see what happens to this over the next 3 weeks.

ForumRunner_20130611_160550.jpg

Well thanks for all the opinions. I bottled a few for the competition and also pulled a pint off it this morning. It is slightly less than a dead hookers ass today so I'm hopeful.

I thought that was the right flavor!

Citra gets really "dank" like marijuana if used in high amounts IMO

I recently brewed theveganbrewers Abrasive clone, and it uses a lot of Citra. FWH addition, late and whirlpool additions, and 2oz in the dry hop (with a little Warrior too), and it was delicious! It tasted practically just like Abrasive. I love me some Citra. Maybe it's just an issue of personal taste for some people. I've also read that extended dry hopping times can cause vegetal flavors, but I haven't experienced that. I don't typically dry hop longer than 5-7 days.

I recently brewed theveganbrewers Abrasive clone, and it uses a lot of Citra. FWH addition, late and whirlpool additions, and 2oz in the dry hop (with a little Warrior too), and it was delicious! It tasted practically just like Abrasive. I love me some Citra. Maybe it's just an issue of personal taste for some people. I've also read that extended dry hopping times can cause vegetal flavors, but I haven't experienced that. I don't typically dry hop longer than 5-7 days.

I did 6 days and its great.

Just bottled an IPA yesterday. Used Warrior as my bittering hop but Citra and Amarillo for flavor and aroma. Finished it off by dry hopping an ounce of Citra and an ounce of Amarillo.

Here is what it looks like non-carbed. I like the color.

7313_10101725635040403_618332639_n.jpg

I made a zombie dust clone and dry hopped with 2 ounces of citra. I thought it was really bad at first but after a few weeks it mellowed out and was a great beer.

Personally, I love Citra. LOVE! This is what I recently put into two brews back to back. Both turned out fantastic. Both 7 gallons or about 27 litres.

Green Bullet 50.0 g 90 min FWH Pellet 13.5%
Amarillo 50.0 g 10 min Boil Pellet 7.0%
Citra 50.0 g 10 min Boil Pellet 11.0%
Simcoe 50.0 g 10 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
Amarillo 50.0 g FO Aroma Pellet 7.0%
Citra 50.0 g FO Aroma Pellet 11.0%
Simcoe 50.0 g FO Aroma Pellet 13.0%
Amarillo 50.0 g 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 7.0%
Citra 50.0 g 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 11.0%
Simcoe 50.0 g 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 13.0%

Personally, I love Citra. LOVE! This is what I recently put into two brews back to back. Both turned out fantastic. Both 7 gallons or about 27 litres.

Green Bullet 50.0 g 90 min FWH Pellet 13.5%
Amarillo 50.0 g 10 min Boil Pellet 7.0%
Citra 50.0 g 10 min Boil Pellet 11.0%
Simcoe 50.0 g 10 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
Amarillo 50.0 g FO Aroma Pellet 7.0%
Citra 50.0 g FO Aroma Pellet 11.0%
Simcoe 50.0 g FO Aroma Pellet 13.0%
Amarillo 50.0 g 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 7.0%
Citra 50.0 g 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 11.0%
Simcoe 50.0 g 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 13.0%

This is exactly what I was planning for my next IPA...well minus the green bullet.

Theres an interesting article in the latest issue of Zymurgy about how hop flavor changes when blended with other hops and how the chemistry of it all works. Pretty good read.

Really? Just tasted my citra bomb DIPA. I dry hopped with
1.15 oz Citra - Dry Hop 12.0 Days
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold Dry Hop 12.0 Days
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days

Also during the boils I hopped with citra an Amarillo... An a few others ;)

Came out great!! 6.5 abv.. Nice Aroma: Clean sharp bitterness, mango's, tropical notes.

Flavor: This is a solid beer. Powerful sweet grapefruit and papya, From all the late hopping. Great attenuation, I also get a little rye spice. (I think that is from the small amount of Amarillo in the last dry hop) The Citra additions are so well balanced...

I've got a Citra Pale Ale right now that has a nice smooth taste and great aroma. I used centennial for the bittering charge and cascade and citra evenly through. It's really good.

Really? Just tasted my citra bomb DIPA. I dry hopped with
1.15 oz Citra - Dry Hop 12.0 Days
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold Dry Hop 12.0 Days
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days

Also during the boils I hopped with citra an Amarillo... An a few others ;)

Came out great!! 6.5 abv.. Nice Aroma: Clean sharp bitterness, mango's, tropical notes.

Flavor: This is a solid beer. Powerful sweet grapefruit and papya, From all the late hopping. Great attenuation, I also get a little rye spice. (I think that is from the small amount of Amarillo in the last dry hop) The Citra additions are so well balanced...

Citra + Amarillo = solid gold. Gold, Jerry!

4 oz in a 5 gallon batch? I think there's a point of diminishing returns, which is right around 2 oz for 5 gallons. Perhaps I'm wrong. Either way, if you like, you like it!

actual returns dont diminish, percievable ones do. all 4 oz of hops will release the same amount of oil/flavors etc, but the percieved increase in aroma does diminish. Think of it like making tea, the principles are very similar.

I do a citra single hop and i've tried it with 2oz, just not the same. your right in the fact that its not a linear increase in flavor/aroma though and your returns on flavor/aroma do diminish past 4 oz. whether its worth it to you or not is completely relative. For me, I like it and an extra 4 bucks is worth it.

The more I think about it, I'm really glad I don't have a frame of reference for what a "Dead hooker's a$$" tastes like...

Back