Dry hop then cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusmedic

Reaction score
About to do my second dry hop beer and I thought my process of dry hop 5-7 days then cold crash then keg was fine. Now I'm reading that when you cold crash following dry hopping, a lot of the hops oil will grab onto the yeast and fall out of suspension, and you're basically wasting your time/money doing it this way. So my question is, if this is true, how do you dry hop and also cold crash to help with clarity?

At home I dry hop at room temperature, usually because the sheer amount of hops being added doesn't really give me many causes for concern and because the beer has usually partially dropped and the hops float on top for quite a while and I believe the warmed temperatures help with extraction. At work we chill before dry hopping because adding the hops warm typically causes co2 in suspension to nucleate and cause the fementors to come over. At work the volumes involved do make process improvements important when getting the most bang for your buck.

Room temp beer will extract the hop flavor better than cold.

Hop oil will bind to suspended yeast.

If your intent is to cold crash the yeast, it may be advisable to crash out the yeast transfer off the cake, let the beer come back up to room temp, and then dry hop.

Back