Dry hop squeeze and time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamdillabo

Reaction score
First time I've dry hopped in my primary and with this amount. 5 oz in just over 5gallons. I used the nude stoking technique with a few boiled marbles when I did 2oz it blew up like a balloon with 5 im guessing it's going to be gallon sized.

do I pull the bag before racking? The sample was crystal clear and I don't want to kick up any sediment.

Should I squeeze out the bag if I do pull it up but I know I don't want to oxidize at this point. It taste so good.

I've read a recent study that said 1 day if dry hopping is all you need. But most threads are 3+ years old say 7-10 days. I was planning for a week but I wouldn't mind bottling sooner if it's going to be better or have no negative effects.

My plan as of now. Bottle with out moving the hop sack. Then squeezing it into the bottling bucket and have a special bottle or two of oxidized extra hoppy brew then adding sugar to the bottle.

I wouldn't go any less than a week of dry hopping. I'd also leave the hops in the fermenter when you rack to your bottling bucket. Like you said, no sense in stirring up stuff for nothing.

Dry hopping time has seemed to shorten up over the years. When I started brewing 7 - 10 and even 14 days was normal answers to the question. Over time, this period has gone down. It doesn't mean that leaving it in that long is bad, just different techniques and turn around time, including more complex aromas, are wanted/desired.

That all said, when I make an IPA, I typically dry hop twice. The first is for six days, the second is for the last three days of the original six. Therefore two dry hoppings for a total of six days. i like hops, a ton, and this technique works well for me.

the difference is that science has gotten a lot more involved in the beer making process in recent years. even still, i typically dry hop around 5 days, even though there are many experts who say all the oil extraction will take place in 1. i figure the few extra days can't hurt the beer as far as conditioning it goes.

Five days max for me, preferably using free-swimming pellets, and always cold-crashed before kegging...

Cheers!

I used to cold crash before kegging as well, now I'm in the "why bother?" camp.

I kind of swirl the carboy once or twice a day towards the end to facilitate most of the particles dropping to the bottom.

Then I just let it cold crash in the keg, pull a gross-ass pint and it's all good after that. If the diptube doesn't clog. Haha.

I'm going to bottle tonight after 5 days of dry hopping. I hope this one is good.

I usually remove bags and let them drip out an excess before tossing. I'll give them a squeeze if I'm in a hurry, aside from getting slightly more turbid runoff from the hop sack, I've seen no downside.

Pretty sure the 'don't squeeze' rule is from steeping specialty malts during mash.

Back