Dry Hop Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPA_33

Reaction score
I was going to dry hop my IPA this morning, it's at the 10 day mark but the krasen is still way thick. It's been about the same thickness since day 1, real steady and strong fermentation happening. The airlock interval has fallen off but that doesn't mean it's not rocking in there.

Usually I see sedimentation starting at this point, this is odd for me. Is there a cut-off point where dry hopping renders ineffctive?

I would not dry hop an actively fermenting beer, nor would I drop the hops on top of the krausen of a beer that is done.

I would take a gravity reading to confirm that fermentation has finished. If not, let it go until it is done. If it is done and the krausen has not fallen, try swirling the fermenter gently; that may get it to fall in. Or scoop it out with a sanitized spoon, or rack out from underneath it and dry hop in a secondary.

I dry hop after the beer is completely done fermenting, usually 3 days after racking to the secondary when the beer is absolutley bright and has nothing floating on top. I used to put hops in the secondary and rack on top but I found even a beer that's been in the primary for 2 weeks after racking will kick up co2 and/or yeast for a few days so I wait until all activity has stopped. I usually only leave the beer on the hops for 10 days. So the schedule would be something like: 10 days-2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary the last 10 days dry hopped.

Yeah I'm not going to dry hop with this activity still happening. This is just unusual for me as I said.

Back