Dry hop problems with pellets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7Enigma

Reaction score
So I got the AHS Ruination IPA (clone of Stone Brewery) and transferred to secondary a couple days ago. This recipe calls for 2 oz of hops in the secondary, but I'm a bit concerned since these were not whole flower hops. It's been 4 days and there is a large amount of hop "stuff" on the surface that if I rock the container some falls down, but some also floats back to the surface.

I've heard of dry hopping using a muslin bag with whole flower hops which makes it easy to prevent problems when transferring to the bottling bucket, but how the heck can I transfer my beer with this fine hop powder?

So I got the AHS Ruination IPA (clone of Stone Brewery) and transferred to secondary a couple days ago. This recipe calls for 2 oz of hops in the secondary, but I'm a bit concerned since these were not whole flower hops. It's been 4 days and there is a large amount of hop "stuff" on the surface that if I rock the container some falls down, but some also floats back to the surface.

I've heard of dry hopping using a muslin bag with whole flower hops which makes it easy to prevent problems when transferring to the bottling bucket, but how the heck can I transfer my beer with this fine hop powder?

It'll work out. I have a beer dryhopping right now with pellet hops. In a week or so, they'll fall apart even more and either fall to the bottom or float on top. I usually manage to not suck them up, but you can use a paint strainer bag (sanitized) over the racking cane if you want to be doubly sure you don't rack any over to the bottling bucket or keg.

I always liked leaf hops for dryhopping, and I still do. But with the hops shortage over the last couple of years, I took whatever I could get and mostly that was pellet hops. I haven't had any problems.

I recently bottled my IPA, dry hopped twice with pellets. Took a doubled-up grain steeping bag inside of a much finer filter, then secured them with a rubber band over the hose from the racking cane. Filtered out all but the finest of hop particles. The remaining particles and yeast compacted nicely in the bottom of the bottles, giving a nice clean pour. (If you care about that!)

Thanks guys, sounds like I'll need to use some form of filtration in the transfer. I had hoped they would all just sink to the bottom and I could decant off the top like any other transfer, but there is still some floating on top so that won't work.

I don't really care about the clean pour, but don't want chunks of hop to find their way into a mouthful, that would be....unexpected. :D

Back